Shaw Academy scam

CillianH
New Community Member

Hello. Last night I signed up for a free trial to a course in Shaw Academy however I soon realised that many people are being scammed by them. I emailed them to cancel my subscription and they said they will but nothing has been done as of yet. I went into Payments and changed them from an active to an inactive subscription on PayPal, but I'm not sure if that will work. I just unlinked my card from my Paypal in case they charge me also, so I have a couple questions.

Will changing them to inactive work at stopping charges?

If they try to charge me even though I have no money in my account and no card linked, what will happen?

How do I get them to cancel my subscription?

Can I get Paypal to block their account?

Thank you all for your help in advance.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

temp20200602
Contributor
Contributor

Cillian, were you able to resolve the issue?  I am having the same problem with Shaw Academy.

Login to Me Too

CillianHiggins
New Community Member

Hey. Yes, thankfully I was able to resolve it and I haven't been charged anything. I'm writing this from another account as I cancelled my other one just in case. I emailed them to cancel it, they said they would but they didn't at first. After I emailed them another couple times, they eventually did indeed cancel it. Make sure it says "Membership status: Cancelled" on the website. I also asked them to remove my payment info from their database, which they did. My paypal account no longer appeared on the Shaw Academy website in the billing section. After I was done, I changed the number and email address I had given them on the site to stop their promo texts and emails. I also dmed them about it on twitter which may have helped.

Basically, keep emailing them demanding that your account be cancelled, message them on twitter too. I've heard if you give them a bad review it also helps encourage them to deal with you. My membership was due to end about 2 weeks ago and I have been charged nothing, so safe to say that it worked. Cancel automatic payments on Paypal too, if you haven't.

They're a scummy business and prey on people just looking to educate themselves. Avoid at all costs. Hope this helped!

Login to Me Too

temp20200602
Contributor
Contributor

@CillianHiggins thank you so much for taking the time to reply in such detail.

I want to stop them from defrauding me, but i also want to stop them so that all of those after me don't have to endure the same sort of stress (I already have a mental health disability, and this has set me back months of healing).

If you would like to help stop them, please join this group: <removed>

Login to Me Too

Aus-teacher
New Community Member
I just want my money back
Login to Me Too

biosnap
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know how you can get money back, I think there are cases when you can get some, but I guess the most important thing is to stop them from making more charges to your account or card. I hope you can solve it

Login to Me Too

georgeTomescu
Contributor
Contributor

Thank Paypal, I could cancel the subscription without paying anything to the scammers.

They scammed me through https://www.facebook.com/shawacademy , 1 month free subscription 

I will me more careful next time.

Login to Me Too

biosnap
Contributor
Contributor

So, I did the following

Have sent messages via email, then cancel them on my PayPal but I am still 2 weeks away from my free-trial to end and haven't used any of the classes.

But then if I understand your experience only when they actually show on their website that your membership is canceled is it over? or more measures need to be taken?

I review them badly in Trustpilot as well and wrote them via email that I will ask the Danish government as to why this company has a Danish phone number to conduct the fraud but don't know if they will read that.

Thanks!
N

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.