Sent money to wrong person

Ymeley07
Contributor
Contributor
I accidently sent $150 to wrong person and dont know how to get it back. I tried getting ahold of them and sent a payment request but to no avail. Then i learned from a third party that they are in jail/prison. The money was sent with a twc unemployment debit card and i am at a loss at how to get my money back.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ymeley07 

What does it say next to the transaction in your Paypal account?

1. Pending (with a clearance date)
2. Pending/Unclaimed with a cancel option.
3. Pending/Unclaimed withOUT a cancel option.
4. Payment or Sent.
5. Pending/Uncleared with a clearance date.
6. Pending awaiting authorisation.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Ymeley07
Contributor
Contributor
It say money sent. It was instant cuz i used friends and family that way i would pay the fee. Cuz of that the only thing i seem to be able to get outta paypal is its not covered under buyer protection. I sent a payment request back to them but it still says pending. I read somewhere that if the money can be given back after a month if there is no activity but i dont know if thats only if its done under the business transaction.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ymeley07 

Sadly the funds are only returned if pending for 30 days and your payment completed if it says SENT.

So it has gone into the account of the person you sent it to (even if wrong one) and only that person can refund it again.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.