Sending money from PayPal to Venmo

gorans
Contributor
Contributor

is it possible to send money from my PayPal account to someone's Venmo account?

They don't have the PayPal account, they only gave me their phone number that is linked to their Venmo account.

Login to Me Too
61 REPLIES 61

mfc1024
Contributor
Contributor

Simply stupid, if you can't transfer money directly between PayPal and Venmo!

Login to Me Too

JoePete

Here's a solution: Write a check, take  a real long time to write check. Your Venmo friends will get the hint eventually. While you're at it, print this article from Wired and include it in the envelope:
https://www.wired.com/story/venmo-alternatives/

Like most sane people, I can find no reason to add another online payment system/app to my life. I realize Millennials, who can't wait to share everything from the swirls in their daily coffee to videos of their latest colonoscopy, delight in the social media hook of Venmo, but for those who hold our financial lives a little tighter to our vest, Venmo overshares, which is to say it also under-secures. Of course the real dilemma isn't whether I join Veno. It's whether I dump PayPal for buying such an idiotic concept. Again, the younger generation may have sworn off money, but to paraphrase George Bailey, it comes in pretty handy, and if you doubt that just ask identity thief. You're likely already in touch with them.

Login to Me Too

pioneerlion
Contributor
Contributor

This is not a solution.  It's extra work on the part of the user/customer, and additional exposure of their financial information.

Paypal and Venmo are owned by the same business, and should have a direct link and button to pay Venmo transactions using Paypal balance. Otherwise one has to have two separate accounts linked to their bank account, and the two Apps do not work together at all...which is lazy on Paypal/Venmo and ridiculous. 

Login to Me Too

LyndseyD
Contributor
Contributor
There is a work around partially. I wanted to load my venmo from my PayPal balance and I did it. I have a physical venmo card I added it to my PayPal cards. Just like a debit card. I was able to load my venmo card by transferring funds from PayPal balance to venmo MasterCard. This only helps you personally to avoid a checking acc and yes you will need a venmo acc and free venmo card. You won't need either PayPal or venmo app once it's active. Doing PayPal to venmo friend, have your friend add their venmo card to their PayPal account then you can PayPal them and they can move it into their venmo card. I hope this all makes sense because it does work.
Login to Me Too

LyndseyD
Contributor
Contributor
In all honesty if they have a venmo it doesn't make sense they wouldn't just make a PayPal account. Both have to be linked to a bank account anyway. Until PayPal and venmo make a button to just send between the two this is the only solution I found that works. Beings my bank account was overdrafts and I didn't couldn't send it to my checking account I found awat around that and a way to get money into venmo from PayPal balance.
Login to Me Too

fretsforsongs
New Community Member

I have a paypal account and need to send money to my cousin in the US. As Venmo is restricted to US citizen and I'm French, I can't create a venmo account... My cousin has no need for a paypal account. So this shows that a link between the two systems would be usefull.

Login to Me Too

th3_jynxxx
Contributor
Contributor
I'm Canadian and also cannot use Venmo. PayPal needs to fix this issue.
Login to Me Too

laserbeam
Contributor
Contributor

IMO there are a lot of"answers" here that are not focusing on what the difference is between Paypal and Venmo.... Paypal is a secure online business to business or business to customer payment gateway portal. Venmo is a very poorly designed social media "app" to help people share their data with facebook---the evil suck-your-data-berg website.

Had PayPal aka Braintree intended to connect the two there may have been some type of notice. But my guess is that any responsible bank corporation (Braintree) would not be wise to associate their data with Mr. Suckerbergs data.

I loaded Venmo "app" (emphasis on double quotes referencing, it is not really a "good" app) and when I found you could easily add your CC or any other account to this I about had a cow and ran the other direction as fast as my fingers could swipe left.

Phones are not secure and they come with this an inherit bluetooth and wifi handout. Carrying your personal information on a phone is twice as dangerous as keeping your private information on a desktop. Anyone can bump up against you while they see you texting and or next to a friend sharing phone junk. By the time you get home your bank is calling you with some not-so-good news.

Also Venmo is connected to facebook... no one should be using facebook on a phone. Smart peeps only use fb on a computer with a private browser like Avast or Firefox Quatum.

So the real answer is No, PP does not and No, they will/should not. Venmo and Paypal are two different animals so I don't think a mouse should be breeding with an elephant.

Login to Me Too

LyndseyD
Contributor
Contributor
You don't have to link Facebook to venmo. Fyi. People can add individual users to their venmo. Linking Facebook just automatically adds your friends who have venmo to your recipients.
Login to Me Too

Cheddarific

Venmo does not allow you to add your PayPal Debit Mastercard as a debit card.  If you try, it shows an error "Venmo cannot add a Venmo card to fund an account."

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.