Selling something and buyer put a hold on payment.

apalmucci23
New Community Member
Hello all, I’m currently selling some thing and the guy wants to go through PayPal. However he has put the funds on hold until I send the tracking number for the shipment, is this something anyone’s had done before to them? Or how do I make sure the email is not a scam. Just wanna make sure I’m not being scammed out of this
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@apalmucci23 

Buyer cannot put a hold on the money. PayPal does. Do you see a record of payment from the buyer in your PayPal account? If not, you have not been paid. Even if PayPal put a hold on the funds, you will still see a transaction record of payment. For your protection, PayPal does not ask you to provide shipment/tracking info via email, only through the record of payment in your PayPal account. Providing shipment info/tracking number is always optional.

If you see a record of payment...

Sellers/recipients do this to get money sooner (may not be available for some countries):

1. Click Activity at the top of the page.

2. Find and click the original payment for the item or service.

3. Click Add Tracking Info.

4. Select an Order Status.

Note: Funds are released 24/48 hrs from delivery confirmation with courier by PayPal, if tracking info is provided within the transaction.

And then optionally ask buyers/senders to “confirm receipt” to release funds (may not be available for some countries):

1. Log on to PayPal account.

2. Click Activity at the top of the page.

3. Find and click the payment transaction.

4. Click Confirm Receipt.

5. Click Yes to confirm that you received the order.

***Not all transactions require receipt confirmation.

If buyer does not take action to confirm you may have to wait up to 21 days for PayPal to release the funds if there is no tracking info. Otherwise, contact customer service and ask them to manually confirm delivery and release funds should there be a delay in confirming tracking info by PayPal. Please allow 24/48 hrs for request to process:

1. Log on.
  2. Click HELP at the top menu.
  3. Scroll down and click CONTACT US.
  4. Scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Beware of spoof email confirmations, that is why you must always check your PayPal account for payment first:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-to-spot-fake%2C-fraudulent%2C-spoof%2C-or-phishing-e...

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@apalmucci23 

Buyer cannot put a hold on the money. PayPal does. Do you see a record of payment from the buyer in your PayPal account? If not, you have not been paid. Even if PayPal put a hold on the funds, you will still see a transaction record of payment. For your protection, PayPal does not ask you to provide shipment/tracking info via email, only through the record of payment in your PayPal account. Providing shipment info/tracking number is always optional.

If you see a record of payment...

Sellers/recipients do this to get money sooner (may not be available for some countries):

1. Click Activity at the top of the page.

2. Find and click the original payment for the item or service.

3. Click Add Tracking Info.

4. Select an Order Status.

Note: Funds are released 24/48 hrs from delivery confirmation with courier by PayPal, if tracking info is provided within the transaction.

And then optionally ask buyers/senders to “confirm receipt” to release funds (may not be available for some countries):

1. Log on to PayPal account.

2. Click Activity at the top of the page.

3. Find and click the payment transaction.

4. Click Confirm Receipt.

5. Click Yes to confirm that you received the order.

***Not all transactions require receipt confirmation.

If buyer does not take action to confirm you may have to wait up to 21 days for PayPal to release the funds if there is no tracking info. Otherwise, contact customer service and ask them to manually confirm delivery and release funds should there be a delay in confirming tracking info by PayPal. Please allow 24/48 hrs for request to process:

1. Log on.
  2. Click HELP at the top menu.
  3. Scroll down and click CONTACT US.
  4. Scroll down to click CALL US or other contact options.

Beware of spoof email confirmations, that is why you must always check your PayPal account for payment first:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-to-spot-fake%2C-fraudulent%2C-spoof%2C-or-phishing-e...

Login to Me Too

apalmucci23
New Community Member
So they can have paypal put a hold on the payment till tracking number is received? I have not seen anything for the amount to be pending even though the person buying the product sent me and email showing the “invoice” but don’t know if it’s real.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@apalmucci23 

No, PayPal's system puts a hold on the payment depending on certain factors. If recipient wants to get funds released sooner, provide the tracking number in the transaction record so PayPal can confirm delivery.

If you do not see a record of payment/money ("Pending" or "Available") in your account for the transaction at all, you have not been paid and the buyer is a scammer.

PayPal does not hide payments asking for tracking numbers and tracking numbers have to be entered within the transaction record, not by email for your protection. 

Did you send an invoice to request payment? If so, then if invoice was paid, the invoice would be marked PAID AND you would receive a "Payment Received" transaction record in addition in your PayPal account, even if PayPal puts a hold on it.

This isn't rocket science. When someone REALLY paid, you will receive a PayPal email AND a transaction record of the payment with status "Payment Received" in your PayPal account activity, on hold or not. If you don't see that, you have not been paid and best to keep it movin'. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.