Seller protection: how do I arrange it? .. first timer question

labrys33
Contributor
Contributor

I sold something on Facebook for the first time to someone not collecting.

Do I get seller protection if the buyer selects ‘protected payment’ in PayPal?

would it be better to send an invoice rather than rely on the buyer to choose the payment method. I’ve spent hours reading PayPal Ts and Cs and can’t be sure.

all conditions for a protected transaction are met eg physical goods, will be sent tracked and insured to the PayPal registered address (Not sure how to check this, advice appreciated)

thanks

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@labrys33 

Seller protection is not a 100% coverall so you need to read it and risk assess your transactions.

You have seller protection as long as the buyer does not send the money using the 'friends/family' option.

However sending a money request or invoice is always better as you can fully describe the item the buyer is paying for that will aid in the event of an item received but not as described dispute.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

labrys33
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I created an invoice so I could document the description. I thought I'd be able to stipulate 'pay for goods or services' rather than 'family & friends' but I wasn't given an option

I am hoping that since I created an invoice it is automatically requiring the payment to be 'pay for goods or services' which I think (hard to be sure) is a protected payment. It would be nice if Paypal made that clear.

The buyer could not select 'protected payment', so she paid with paypal using a credit card. I think this voids the credit card protection but hope it still gives the normal buyer protection that she should have by paying through paypal.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@labrys33 

An invoice or money request is ALWAYS a goods/services payment.

The only time a payment is friends/family is when the buyer selects it to pay OR you send a personal paypal.me link and the buyer does not tick the g/s box.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.