Seller is asking me to resend Ebay payment

red98turboneon
Contributor
Contributor

Hello all,

I bought an item recently on the Ebay platform and paid immediately using the Ebay payment system through PayPal.   The seller has now contacted me to ask that I resend the payment to a different email address as they made a mistake when entering it into Ebay.  They are claiming that PayPal and Ebay are telling them to contact me and have me resend the monies.  Does this sound like something Ebay/PayPal would do?  Why would I not be contacted directly from either PayPal or Ebay.  Normally I would write this off as fraud, but the seller did ship the package and it was received, however I have yet to open it as it was sent to my business during a holiday break.  I have tried to contact Ebay and PayPal, but have been offered little advice.

Thanks

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@red98turboneon

What does it say next to the transaction in your Paypal account?

1. Pending / Unclaimed.
2. Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.
3. Completed / Sent.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

red98turboneon
Contributor
Contributor
This is what it said:
December 23, 2018
eBay - xxxxxxx-email
-negative $53.65
Payment
xxxxxxx-email (xxxx) hasn't accepted yet. Cancel

I removed the emails and Ebay handle for obvious reasons.

Thanks

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@red98turboneon

In that case the seller made a mistake entering his paypal email address on his auction, probably a spelling error as the email address you sent the funds to is non-existant and that is why there is a cancel option.

So yes click on cancel and the funds will return to your card (if you funded it that way) or to your paypal balance if you funded it from your bank account or balance BUT wait until you have the money cleared back to your bank or card account first and then ask the seller for a money request via paypal to pay him again.

You won't be able to do it via his ebay auction as he can't change the email address (the wrong one) on a finished transaction.

BUT personally I would tell the seller that you will do this AFTER you have returned home and checked the item is ok.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

red98turboneon
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, thanks for the advice.  I am going to open the package tomorrow and inspect the item.  If all is well, I will cancel the transaction and wait for the amount to clear back to my card.  Then I will send the seller a message to request a new PayPal payment.  I am just a bit cautious as the seller has 0 completed transactions.

Thanks again,

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.