Scammers

ricky363
Contributor
Contributor
Someone was trying to buy a video game off of me and “PayPal” sent an email saying that I had to send the tracking ID first for the money to come in. I am guessing this is a scam, but does PayPal work through these methods?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

cpat0204
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

@ricky363 

Thank you for bringing this up to our attention. Though our response times may be delayed, be assured we’re here. 

Paypal won't ask you to ship the item first before the payment will show on your Paypal account. If the buyer had sent you money, you should be able 

to see that on your payment activity immediately. It sounds to me that you have received a scam or spoof email.  

It's also important to report the fake email or website to PayPal as soon as possible. That way, we can protect you and other PayPal users. Forward any suspicious email to spoof@paypal.com then delete the suspicious email from your Inbox.

Here's how to spot common scams :  What are common scams and how do I spot them?

How do I spot fake, fraudulent, spoof, or phishing emails? 

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution 🙂 

Stay Safe! 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.