SCAM ON GUMTREE WITH EMAIL <removed>

Pip_rose
New Community Member

THIS IS A SCAM 

I had a coffee machine to sell £995. I got this email from above address.. the content was the same to other people posting information from a scam..... it includes these type of information 

1. Wanting to buy and send cash straight away into pay pal account 
  2. For a 'friend' 'family member'
  3. Urgently needed so please take down post and 'consider it sold' 
  4. using words like 'fully satified with item' 
  5. Cannot come to see item because of e.g illness or in my case they were on an oil rig! 
  6. Will send courier once money has been sent through 
  7. When ask to do a quick phone call to discuss they cannot and will not speak on the phone ( but can use email and text me) I offered whats app call and nothing.
  8. Will not do any other way of sending or buying 

What they will do it send money via pay pal as 'pending' you think you have the money...Courier will come collect item and then money transaction will be 'cancelled'. You lose the money and your item. Or asking that you pay the courier ( because of the courier wanting upfront payment) and they will refund you. They never refund you the £100s and cancel the transaction on PayPal. 

This name is used as many different email address please see link for another same post 

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/PayPal-Basics/Gumtree-scam/m-p/1526689 

I emailed then back with my finding as said all of above and 

'If you are a scam, then I know I will not be getting a reply as your omission…..'

I have received no reply... 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pip_rose

Same scam but not quite how it works.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via western union, moneygram or walmart etc BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle or item that is collected by the buyer.

Delete any emails and ignore the scammers.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pip_rose

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk or spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.

The 'fake' paypal email will tell you that the buyer has paid for the item + shipping costs but you must send those shipping costs to the courier/ shipping agent via western union, moneygram or walmart etc BEFORE the funds are released to you.
They are not interested in the item, they just want the western union etc funds and you will never see money in your paypal balance.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.
Paypal NEVER expect you to use a rival money transfer service eg Moneygram or Western Union etc.
Also their is no seller protection on paypal for any type of motor vehicle or item that is collected by the buyer.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Pip_rose
New Community Member

Thank you @kernowlass for being clear on how excatly this person or persons' do this scam... 

Please everyone read below...and be safe out there.... as the saying goes ' if its too good to be true, then it probably is' 

@kernowlass wrote:

@Pip_rose

Login to Me Too

Kirsten5
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

My Mother was selling products on gumtree & fell for this scam - she does not have her own PayPal account so gave mine (and her address) for the courier to collect the items...having received the emails from 'Keith' I realised this was spam and advised her accordingly, I am now being threatened with a (hopefully) fake email threatening legal action, and he has emailed my Mother to say it 'is her loss' and he will see her when she's arrested. Although I'm fairly certain (especially having read these threads) it is a scam, any confirmation from anyone else that they don't follow through with any action would be great!

Apologies for all naivety involved...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kirsten5

They often threaten legal action to try and get you to comply, best just to ignore and not reply anymore then they just move on to their next potential victim.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.