Refunding an accidental payment

Anitra66
Contributor
Contributor

Hi kind PayPal Community,

Please be gentle on a newbie. 😉

I am NOT a seller on PayPal - or anywhere, really. Yesterday, a stranger unexpectedly credited £111 to my a/c. Yes, it was really there - not just a scam email saying I'd been credited.

I raised this with PayPal as unexplained/unexpected, and asked them what to do, but have still not received a reply - except the automated nonsense, which didn't help.

In the meantime, the sender emailed me, apologising, and saying it had been a mistake, and pressing me to send it back.

At this point I'm a little uncomfortable, as I don't know much about how PayPal works, and wasn't sure if this could be a technique used for fraud - i.e. send money, get the recipient to refund it, then rescind the payment - collect twice!

I explained I'd already contacted PayPal for advice, and would like to wait for that - which he seemed OK about.

This morning, he pressed me AGAIN for a refund, and urged I phone PayPal - which I did. I don't think they really understood the situation, or why I was wary, but DID say he wouldn't be able to cancel the payment from his end, as it was already in my a/c, so should be safe to send it right back.

Used the Refund button, checked the form, added a little msg for him, and requested to make the refund - I THOUGHT. Wrote & told him it's done and on the way.

But now, when I look at the a/c, the £111 is still sitting there, the Refund button is still available,and the activity is NOT showing I have an outgoing payment pending. So, IS he being refunded? Where can I see?

I'm concerned he'll think I'm trying to con him and keep the money. But I don't want to hit the Refund button again, in case it goes twice.

As an aside, I gather there may be a small handling fee for refunds. Is this true? If so, it may be why it wouldn't go, as I have NO balance on my account for fees - only the £111 I'm trying to send back. And why should I pay anything to return something that was paid to me in error in the first place? I'm the innocent party, just trying to do the decent thing.

Advice please?

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.