Refund

cassie2394
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I've had unauthorized transactions made from my account. However, I have reported these unauthorized transactions to paypal directly and requested a full refund.  Yesterday I received an email from paypal telling me that they verified that the transactions were indeed unauthorized and informed me that the full amount has been refunded. After receiving that email, I was under the impression that the money had already been refunded to my account and subsequently closed my paypal account upon receipt of that email. I checked my balance at the ATM yesterday and I did not see the refund to the account. I also had my card changed so as to prevent further suspicious activity. Will paypal still be able to refund my money although I closed the account and had my card changed? How long will it take for me to get my refund?

Note: I signed up with paypal again using the same email address from which I closed the account with

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cassie2394

You didn't need to open another Paypal account.

If you funded the original Paypal payment to the seller with a card then it won't go back to your paypal balance.

Once marked as completed it will automatically go back to your card. Paypal say allow 30 days but I have never waited longer than a week for mine, however that depends a lot on what country you are in.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

cassie2394
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

Ok. But the thing is I didn't fund the original payment. It was fraudulent activity which I reported and I had my atm card changed as well. Would that affect me from getting back my refund? I live in Guyana 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cassie2394

Sorry that was my cut and paste on refunds as the front door bell went.

I will personalise it for you.

If the unauthorised transactions were funded from your card and Paypal refunded then that refund would automatically go back to that card.

Make take a little while to show up on your card though, Paypal say allow 30 days but its often much quicker.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

cassie2394
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

I understand that it will go back to the card, but would the fact that I had my card replaced (meaning it has a different number from the old one which was used to do the unauthorized payments) affect the refund? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@cassie2394

If both old and new cards belong / ed to the same card account then no it should still go through ok.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.