Refund to closed credit card

DaveS8
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I made a payment through PayPal via a credit card from Tandem bank in 2019 for a vacation deposit. Coronavirus stopped that happening, so they've just (2 weeks ago) issued a refund. 

Unfortunately, I no longer have the Tandem credit card and Tandem no longer issue credit cards. According to their website:

Waiting for a refund or credit to your account?

Any refunds attempted after 17th February will be automatically returned to the merchant. If this applies to you then please contact the merchant to arrange for the payment to be made via an alternative method. If the merchant asks for written confirmation of this then please call us on<removed> and we will be happy to provide it.

How do I go about getting this refund? I'd hoped it would be rejected, and PayPal would automatically credit my account with the money. At the moment I have no idea where the money is, or who to try and get it from? The original credit card company's stance is that they reject all refunds. The vacation company think they've paid back the refund, and PayPal think they've paid my credit card.

Any suggestions? What do I do?

Thanks,
Dave

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Gleeson
Contributor
Contributor

Hi DaveS8,

I'm having exactly the same problem with concert tickets I purchased from Ticketmaster.

Have you had any luck finding where your refund got to?

Login to Me Too

DaveS8
Contributor
Contributor

Sadly not. PayPay told me in no uncertain terms that they won't help. They gave me a trace code I could use with the credit card company. The credit card company told me they're no longer a member of the mastercard scheme and can't use the trace code, or access any information. They stated that all refunds would have been rejected by mastercard as the account details are no longer valid.

I've spent a long time on the phone with PayPay and gone around in circles. I've escalated it to the financial ombudsman. I'm very frustrated. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.