Refund to cancelled credit card

fstjohn
Contributor
Contributor

The credit card registered on Ebay and used by default for all transactions has been compromised and cancelled by the bank, and a new card issued.  I haven't received it yet.  However, a merchant just issued a refund which shows up on my Paypal account and would normally be sent to my credit card.  I have no way of knowing what the new card number will be until I receive it in the mail, so  I can't inform Paypal of the changed number.  If Paypal attempts to credit the old number it will bounce.  How can I resolve this?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fstjohn

As refunds are automatic it would make no difference if you could tell Paypal as refunds to cards go back to that card.

If old and new cards are to the same account there should not be a problem with the transfer.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fstjohn

As refunds are automatic it would make no difference if you could tell Paypal as refunds to cards go back to that card.

If old and new cards are to the same account there should not be a problem with the transfer.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

rachaelmarygric
New Community Member
Old debit card number
Login to Me Too

87-klm
New Community Member
I have the same issue. Can anyone help ?? Have a few refunds been processed but to my old card it got lost since the purchases before refunds so got cancelled and now refunds are saying the are being refunded back to that card. How will I receive them
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@87-klm

Did you actually read my reply above?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Tony1414
Contributor
Contributor

From what I read, it can take up to 30 days for the refund transaction to show up on your new credit card #.

I have same situation. My old credit card was cancelled due to some fraudulent transaction (one used to pay with on Paypal) and my credit card company issued new replacement.  I was told if the refund transaction was put thru the old CC number then it can take up to 30 days for your visa company to process this and redirect it to the new CC number.

You will need to keep an eye for the transaction to go thru and if it does not go thru in 30 days, then follow-up with Paypal again to have then solve the issue and maybe redirect it to the new CC number.

Login to Me Too

Marlet0306
Contributor
Contributor

Greetings,

Thank you for sharing this with us! I also was given a new card and I can't transfer my refund into my new card. I will continue to wait. 

Ty!

LM

Login to Me Too

Dbeag
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, did your refund come into your new card? Thanks in advance
Login to Me Too

sonnesun
New Community Member

I'm hoping it did. The fact there is no reply from the person may suggest it was returned safely. I have the same issue with my bank's Mastercard. £645 was stolen via paypal on the 19th July. I immediately cancelled the card in haste when I found out a couple of nights back but wishing I didn't now. The money is being returned thankfully through the resolution centre and I just added the replacement card new number today, but have to wait a few days to confirm it here. It has a new CC code also.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.