Refund status unclear

Yelicopter
Contributor
Contributor

On July 31st I made a payment to someone that has no verified paypal account, so paypal cancelled the payment automatically after 2 hours. It issued an automatic refund, and for that it showed a second transaction in the transaction overview. It says I receive the money back there, with status ''completed''. But when I click on it, it says ''pending''. 

The money is long taken from my bank account, but still no sign of a refund. Haven't gotten an email either. Does this mean paypal is holding my money? It's been almost a week. Or does it just take long?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Yelicopter 

If you funded the payment to the seller using bank transfer. What PayPal do here is credit the recipient on your behalf (so there is no delay in despatching your item). Then if you receive a refund in the meantime they are unable to issue this until the original bank transfer completes.

As they use electronic and not wire transfer ie echecks then it can take up to a week to process through to paypal before its credited back to you.

However funds can leave your bank account from a few hours up to a few days later but that does not mean paypal have them as they go through ACH in batches.  

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/i-want-a-refund

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.