Refund is SHORT CHANGED

dmmackay
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered some items from the U.S. to be Shipped to Canada and Paid for the Order.
The Seller then sends me a Message that they do not have the parts I Ordered.
I Cancelled the Order - But when I got the Refund it was Short by $5.48 CAN.

I guess if this is the Cost of Doing Business with PayPal, I won't be Using them anymore!

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

PayPal_AshleyM

Hey @dmmackay,

I'm sorry to hear your refund wasn't the amount you were expecting. When transactions are returned and require a currency conversion, we convert based on our rate at that time, meaning there may have been a difference between the conversion at the time you sent the payment and the time you received the refund. I understand how frustrating that can be, and I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

- Ashley M

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

dmmackay
Contributor
Contributor

The Order was US $90.95 and Cost me CAN $125.12  (1 CAD = 0.7269 USD)

The Refund was CAN$   119.64  (1 USD = 1.3155 CAD)

The Difference of what I had paid and was Refunded of $5.48, is Nearly 5%!

When I called P.P. they told me  you do not get the CONVERSION FEE, when being REFUNDED- as per New Terms of Agreement.

Login to Me Too

dmmackay
Contributor
Contributor

I guess since my Most Recent Post was Deleted and Marked as Spam
Let me Continue on with this Previous Post and Say 
FOOLED ME ONCE - SHAME ON YOU
FOOLED ME TWICE _ SHAME ON ME!

Now it's Aug. 2020

I've had Several Frustrations with Orders on eBay within the Last Month.

1st Order
I order an exhaust from N.Y. though Seller Using the Global Shipping Program.
The Item goes from N.Y. to Kentucky - 600 miles in the Opposite Direction of the Destination - Nova Scotia Canada Tacking States: Delivered and Signed for, with no Status Updates for 20 Days.
The Seller Ignores my Messages and Cancels the Order.

Item location:VANCOUVER, Canada

After Placing the Order I see "UPS"  - Which SIGNALS THE RED FLAG - This is a COURIER AND I used a P.O.Box.
I Contact the Seller to inform of An Alternative Address if they cannot ship the item to the P.O. Box.
4 Days Later the Message from the Seller is:
Dear buyer, your address is incomplete, we cannot ship the item to you.
The Seller Cancelled the Order.
I Paid 134.88 
Refund $128.81
Loss -$6.07 CAN
I call eBay - They tell me to take it up with PayPal; for the Conversion Fee.

I Place an Order again, with the Above Seller on eBay 
This time the Seller:
Uploads Tracking Information; and
Replies in a Message asking for An Additional Payment of $30.00 though PayPal for Shipping- 
after Uploading Tracking Info ....
This time I Cancel the Order

Purchase 134.66
Refund:   128.68
Loss:        -$5.98

Home Appliance 
"FREE Standard Shipping"
Item location: Brampton, Canada
(going to Nova Scotia)
10 Days after Payment the Seller Requests a Physical Address ( other than the P.O.Box)
11 Days after Purchase, Seller Cancelled the Order -he cannot supply the item due to Damage.
(though I Placed My Order - Before Others)

I Suspect, I will get a Refund - LESS THAN THE FULL PURCHASE PRICE of $215.00 CAN

In Regards to these Sellers that are Saying "Free Shipping"
I believe the General Rule of Thumb is:  If it's going by Courier, they Do Not Deliver to P.O.Boxes.
I do try to Notify Sellers of an Alternative Address..

However; I've Often Ordered and see a Message at Check Out: 
"Seller Does Not Ship to P.O. Boxes"  - and the Order is Not Processed unless the Shipping Address is Changed.
 Most Buyers, have No Way to Know, if Sellers are using - Canada Post/ UPS/ FEDEX, etc. unless otherwise stated. 

I tried to contact PayPal by Phone but was Given the Run Around by the  Machine; Eventually told:
I COULD NOT SPEAK TO A REP!

I Suspect that I'll be out $20.00 this month - Sellers are Stating "Free Shipping" and Orders are being "Cancelled" or "Not Arriving".

I might also point out that 3 of the 4 Orders are from Sellers within Canada - WHY HAVE PRICES IN U.S. DOLLARS  and the CONVERSIONS - if You're Buying in Your Own Country?And I don't think it's ever worked out that I got more because of the Conversion Fee being Refunded.

Login to Me Too

dmmackay
Contributor
Contributor

Since, I am placing orders with Sellers in My Own Country..
Why is there a Conversion Fee at all?

Refunds, are Consistently Less - because of the Conversion Fee with PayPal...NOT MORE!

IN Fact - I think the Refunds have had the Whole Conversion Fee SHORTED on the REFUND

Login to Me Too

Aretha1
Contributor
Contributor
Hi I purchased a turbo charger for Hyundai Tucson for $2818.94 bds currency they ask me for more money for deposit don't understand that ask for refund back they send today $2660.51 was sent back they short me by $$158.43 I need my money
Login to Me Too

Reggie211
New Community Member
I ordered a Ram air hood for my car which came to $583.00. It was $200.00 for shipping. The Merchant sent a message stating the hood isn't manufactured in my area. Now I stay in Georgia and I ordered the part from California. They refunded me $433.00. I'm just curious to know where is the other $150.00. Not only did I not get the part I needed, but I was also Swindled out of $150.00. Great Job Guy's
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Reggie211 

Ask the seller why they refunded a lesser amount?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

dmmackay
Contributor
Contributor

It's Not the Sellers that are Refunding Lesser Amounts- It's the Difference that PayPal is Keeping for Conversion Fees for Transactions that Do Not Materialize.

Login to Me Too

Engelsinger
Contributor
Contributor

The same thing just happened to me with my refund! I ordered a dress on April 21 from Chotronette which is supposed to be a high end dress company in Romania. (They are a fraud!) The seller promised me twice they would have the dress to me by July 20th. I even questioned them as it was getting closer, and they said they would have the dress to me with no problem. Then about 2 or 3 days before I needed the dress, they act like it’s nothing to say it’s going to be late. Long story short, I caught them in lies, I ended up having to buy another dress as Chotronette never sent the one I ordered. I doubt they ever even made it. It was like pulling teeth getting any information from them. They finally submitted a refund after I had had enough of their lies and now because of the currency exchange, I’m short $69.42. This is not okay PayPal. And your customer service saying they can’t do anything…that I should just let PayPal steal my money….is also not okay. You just lost yourself one more customer and I will tell everyone that will listen to avoid using your services at all costs. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.