Refund for unauthorised transaction on ebay

AndyTMr
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I ha e today made a purchase on eBay for 19.98. I paid a buy it now price. 5 hours later I got an email from ebay stating the sellers account was accessed and the sale was unauthorised. The email stated that I need to raise a claim for a non received item which I have immediately done. When raising the claim it said ebay would not get involved for 8 days as the seller needs to sort this first but if the sellers account is compromised how would he do this? May PayPal account shows a transaction for 19.98 paid and then another one for 19.98 for a refund that is pending. My question is - Am I going to have the £19.98 taken from my bank account by PayPal and then have to wait for it to be refunded if it is all sorted? If it is not sorted by the seller then what do I do? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks a lot Andy

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AndyTMr

If you paid with bank, yes it'll take some time for the payment to be forwarded to the seller to begin with. If there is a refund issued while this bank payment is processing, once it completes, it will show in your PayPal balance.

When eBay told you that you have to file Item Not Received with them, yes, you usually have to wait a day after the estimated delivery time posted in your eBay Purchase History to file, in case the eBay account holder is able to handle the order or able to refund you on their own since their account was compromised. If not, then you file the Item Not Received eBay dispute. Since you already filed and there is already a refund issued and pending on your PayPal account, you're in a good position now; once the funds from your bank has to hit PayPal, PayPal will redirect it to your PayPal balance and apparently automatically transferred back to your bank (must be a new thing because it used to go back to your PayPal balance).

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@AndyTMr

If you paid with bank, yes it'll take some time for the payment to be forwarded to the seller to begin with. If there is a refund issued while this bank payment is processing, once it completes, it will show in your PayPal balance.

When eBay told you that you have to file Item Not Received with them, yes, you usually have to wait a day after the estimated delivery time posted in your eBay Purchase History to file, in case the eBay account holder is able to handle the order or able to refund you on their own since their account was compromised. If not, then you file the Item Not Received eBay dispute. Since you already filed and there is already a refund issued and pending on your PayPal account, you're in a good position now; once the funds from your bank has to hit PayPal, PayPal will redirect it to your PayPal balance and apparently automatically transferred back to your bank (must be a new thing because it used to go back to your PayPal balance).

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

AndyTMr
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for the advice
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.