Refund fees

lozzclare
Contributor
Contributor

I'm just venting my anger as to how much of my refund was taken by PayPal in fees. One fifth of the refund was taken as a fee! I returned an item I bought from the US which cost me AU$93.79 and I got refunded a miserable AU$72.34, AU$21.45 being the PayPal fee. I'm disgusted and won't be using PayPal again. Does anyone else think that's extortion?

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@lozzclare 

Refunds

If a payment you sent involved a currency conversion and you’re later refunded:

• Within 1 day of the date of the original payment, we’ll normally use the transaction exchange rate that we applied at the time of the original payment;
  • Beyond 1 day of the date of the original payment, we’ll normally use the transaction exchange rate (including a currency conversion fee) that applies on the date of your refund;
  • The refund will go back to your bank account or card used for the original transaction in the currency of the original transaction. If that is not possible, we will credit your PayPal balance in the currency of the original transaction; and
  • You’ll be refunded in Australian Dollars if your PayPal account balance doesn’t support the currency of the original payment.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

lozzclare
Contributor
Contributor

The rate of exchange did not alter that much in the two weeks between purchase and refund. It was a large fee that I was charged.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.