Recipient unable to claim payment sentThis

dlemaire
Contributor
Contributor

I sent a payment to a friend in Costa Rica but they are unable to take the money out of paypal.  I found two different articles.  One states that I have to go to the transaction under Activities and select a button "Confirm receipt".  That button is no where to be found.  The other article states that the recipient has to wait 21 days.  This is not an option and it is somewhat hard to believe that such warning would not be presented before submitting he payment in case the need to receive the money is urgent such as for medical expenses.   Is it true that 21 days is needed. If so, how can I cancel the money payment? 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dlemaire 

The option to 'withdraw' paypal payments is not available in Costa Rica.
The only exception is you can add a U.S bank account to other countries paypal accounts and withdraw to that. This is because Paypal is a U.S company.

However they may have the option to 'spend' the funds in their paypal balance.

IF the funds are on hold then i guess you sent using the goods/services option and not the friends/family option?

If so then he may have to wait the full 21 days for payment release (if they are held and its not just he can't withdraw them).

However tell him to mark the item as shipped and you may get the option to go into the details of the transaction on your paypal account to confirm receipt which may release the funds are bit quicker.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

STEPHCHAVEZ
Contributor
Contributor

"However tell him to mark the item as shipped and you may get the option to go into the details of the transaction on your paypal account to confirm receipt which may release the funds are bit quicker."

'May' get the option? What affects that maybe? Why is there a maybe involved in payment processing? Maybe you can have your funds now, maybe not? Is this a joke? 

@kernowlass Where can i find this "MAYBE" in the user agreement? 

Dozens of people are having this exact same issue where they don't have the "CONFIRM RECEIPT" button, check the recent forum posts.

I also made a post about it: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Payments/NO-quot-CONFIRM-RECEIPT-quot-BUTTON/m-p/2280409

PayPal support is useless and cant seem to understand that it is a glitch on their side. Terrible customer assistance. Very unprofessional. 

Also, there is no way to select between friends/family or goods/service for some transactions, why?

Login to Me Too

dlemaire
Contributor
Contributor

Well this is for sure the last time that I will be using Paypal and will never again touch it with a 10 foot pole considering the many other good alternatives out there.  After going thru hoops and loops I found the option to send a message to paypal and considering the large sum of money($1200) that I sent I also opened a dispute.  I didn't want it to be sitting unclaimed for 21 days.  Coincidentally, after I did these two things, the button to "confirm payment" showed up in my transaction and miraculously the recipient was now able to get her money.  It took me hours and lots of stress trying to figure this out.  In conclusion what I figured out is - If you sent or received money, and you can't figure out how to claim it because none of the instructions out there work, you must be ready to spend a good time also researching how to get in touch with Paypal. Once that happens, you must expect the response to take days as is the message that you get when you finally send them a message. Be ready to go thru some good amount of stress or, if the money is not much, simply give up and take your losses.  To end this out Paypal suggested that I close the dispute by selecting a "Close Dispute" button, but typical even those instructions where no good.  The "Close Dispute" button was no where to be found.  My daughter setup her Paypal account for the first time to start ecommerce and she never got her money. I sent money to a friend and they never got their money. I took a chance sending this $1200 and I should have known better not to do.  Paypal has no idea how much stress you are causing people who are trusting them with their money.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dlemaire 

Your welcome.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.