Recieved 'you've got money' email, paypal balance is still $0

birdonabranch
Contributor
Contributor

So I got asked for a refund on a purchase about 10 days ago which was granted etc etc, and today I finally got the email from paypal saying the refund had been completed and the money would be in my paypal balance. this is fine and cool, except my balance is a big fat $0. now, I can see the refund listed in my activity and it has a date of around 10 days ago, which is also fine and cool except... where is my money? Was it deposited into my balance then, or was that just them acknowledging that refund processing was underway?

The fact that's it's taken 10 days to get an email saying 'you've got money' leads me to believe that the process has just been completed. Now before anyone asks, I have made a purchase since asking for my refund, but my default payment option is NOT linked to my paypal balance, and my recent purchase does NOT exceed the total of my refund, so even if I did get my money 10 days ago and some was used for my recent purchase, there should still be a decent amount left. So, my money is not in my balance, and it's not magically ended up in my bank account (I've checked).

Can anyone shed some light? Why would I get an email if my money isn't deposited yet? Is there a Standard Waiting Time I don't know about? Is there someone I should be contacting instead?

TIA

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@birdonabranch 

Yes, if you paid with bank account originally, then the refund will hit your PayPal balance but immediately gets transferred to your bank account so that's why its $0 in your PayPal balance and the "You Got Money" email. It will take a few days for the money to be posted by your bank so keep an eye out for it.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@birdonabranch 

How is a refund credited to my PayPal account?

Receiving a "You Got Money" email, means someone paid you. Does the email say anything pertinent about it being the refund? Does the amount match your refund amount?

Login to Me Too

birdonabranch
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the link, it has helped to clear up some things!

The email says, 'Your refund of $xxx from ___ has been completed.
The money should now show in your Paypal balance.'

@sharpiemarker 

Yes, the amount and the refunder name matches my original refund request details. The link you've given me says that if the original amount was paid from my card (it was), then the refund will go back to my account. So, I've just been in my bank account and scrolled through all my recent transactions. I found the date the money was taken out (-$xxx), but there is no equivalent amount gained (+$xxx) either in my current balance, my history or in my pending transactions.

So, am I right in believing that since I paid directly through my bank account and not my paypal balance, the money should appear there and not in paypal at all? If so, does the 'You've got money' email indicate that the refund has simply been processed and it will now take some time for the refund to actually be deposited? Doesn't that mean it should show up under pending transactions in my bank account? Sorry for all the questions, this is the first time I've asked for a refund on a paypal purchase. Thanks so much for your help!

Login to Me Too
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@birdonabranch 

Yes, if you paid with bank account originally, then the refund will hit your PayPal balance but immediately gets transferred to your bank account so that's why its $0 in your PayPal balance and the "You Got Money" email. It will take a few days for the money to be posted by your bank so keep an eye out for it.

Login to Me Too

birdonabranch
Contributor
Contributor

@sharpiemarker That clears up all my questions nicely, thanks very much for your help!!! 😊

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@birdonabranch 

You're very welcome. 😊

Login to Me Too

piticu81
Contributor
Contributor
I have the same problem i got money from a client the payment completed on paypal recived the paypal email that i got the money but on my balance is still 0
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.