Received possible scam email

Darryl24
New Community Member

Hi, I received the following email regarding something I sold to someone online through Gumtree Australia. I am yet to pass the thing to the person, however I received this email regarding their payment. As I am not too familiar with how Paypal works, I am wondering if there really is a Moving Agent fee as $750 seems like quite a lot to pay. The person also sent me an email stating that I need to make a payment through Western Union to them. I feel like it is a scam, but I was wondering if anyone can give me their opinions on it. Thanks in advance. "Dear &lt;my email address&gt;, You have received a PayPal Payment of $2,400.00 AUD from Scarlett Levi (<Senders email address>) We've placed a temporary hold on the funds of this transaction As mentioned in the receipt of payment as per our new payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which included the Moving agent Fees. In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved to your account. You are to visit any nearest Western Union outlet to send the Moving agent fee sum of $750.00 AUD. You are to send us the Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Western Union Transaction Receipt by clicking on Contact Us at the bottom of any page.This action is not a request from the buyer, but as a security procedure we are taking to protect both parties involved in this transaction Below is a step by step guide on how to make the transfer: 1. Go to any Western Union Office close to your home. 2. Ask for a Western Union transfer form. 3. Fill the form with the address details provided in our previous email. 4. Tender the cash and you will be issued a receipt after the money has been sent 5. Attach and email a scanned copy of the receipt to us or type out the details on the receipt such as : Sender's Name; Receiver's Name; Mtcn Number; Amount Sent; Please note: Until payment is received before the moving agent nearest to your location in (Australia) will be assigned to Scarlett Levi. We assure you that this is a safe and approved transaction and your account will be credited immediately we verify the Western Union details. You can Contact Us anytime if you have any question(s) about this transaction. We want you to understand that the payment can't be REVERSED OR CANCELED, so we assure you that you are 100% SECURED doing this transaction. Once again be rest assured that you will have your funds credited immediately we receive the Western Union Information from you for verification. " Yours sincerely, PayPal

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.