Random stranger sent me money for "Goods & Services", if I refund I will have to pay a fee

oscillat
Contributor
Contributor

A person is continually sending me $750 payments. At first it was a "friends and family" payment, so no fee was incurred. I just sent the money back each time. I tried to contact them via email and via notes on my sent payments, but got no response. After the 3rd time this happened, they sent the same payment, but for "Goods and Services". This incurred a fee (which I don't care about because I don't know this person and am not selling them anything). I contacted PayPal via email. This morning I saw that the payment was on hold and the email stated that I needed to "respond" as the "seller" (I have not sold anything to this person - they are a stranger and have been sending me money for unknown reasons). My only options are: 1) "I already shipped the goods or services" (impossible), 2) "I already refunded the money" (I haven't), or 3) "I will refund the money and close this case".  Option 3 is the only one that seems reasonable, however I will incur a fee of 30 cents because PayPal does not return the fixed portion of the fee to the "seller".

Why would I be responsible for a fee when some random stranger sends me money for no reason and they won't respond to me? This is ridiculous. Why won't PayPal respond to my emails when I attempt to alert them about the situation? I want to give the money back to the person, but I am not going to do anything that would result in me being forced to pay a fee.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

oscillat
Contributor
Contributor

I know it has been some time, but since other people have responded asking about this, I just wanted to say that I was never able to resolve this issue via PayPal - I had to wait until the person realized they were sending the money to wrong person (same name as me) and then beg me to send them the money back. It ended up costing me about 5 cents to refund the money for some reason (I can't remember why), but at that point I didn't care.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

artgrl28
Contributor
Contributor
The same thing just happened to me. It’s obviously a scam, but there’s no recourse! I’m not touching it.
Login to Me Too

LucyLem
New Community Member
Did anything else happen with this? I’ve just had the same problem
Login to Me Too

Isaiahtheballer
Contributor
Contributor
Any update on what happened? I have the same problem.
Login to Me Too

Abd_sal
Contributor
Contributor
Hi. I'm having the same problem. Each day I get one tomorrow two payments of $9 via Goods and Services. (I am not selling anything) No response even after I contact them via the verified email. What should be done? Please help!
Login to Me Too
Solved

oscillat
Contributor
Contributor

I know it has been some time, but since other people have responded asking about this, I just wanted to say that I was never able to resolve this issue via PayPal - I had to wait until the person realized they were sending the money to wrong person (same name as me) and then beg me to send them the money back. It ended up costing me about 5 cents to refund the money for some reason (I can't remember why), but at that point I didn't care.

Login to Me Too

Laurie_64
Same thing happened to me except I was sent $1500.00 once. My account is now froze and money is missing. Paypal is saying my account has a negative balance of $1308.28. I should have $196.00 and the $1500.00. Bringing that to a total of $1696.28
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.