Random payment - scam?

carmexn
New Community Member

Hi,

Seeking help here as I am unable to get in touch with paypal right now (messages and call line unavailable)
I have just received a payment of 15 pounds into my account from a person I do not know, and I do not anything online.

Is this a scam? I will contact email tomorrow but has anyone had a similar experience and could give me some guidance on what to do?

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Insignia3D
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @carmexn 

This could have simply been a mix up between people maybe someone has the same email address as you but one character or digit off who knows, but if they ask you to take any actions within your PayPal account we would advise you not to follow and just proceed to refund the funds.

If you're concerned for your safety online or personal information we recommend changing your password to your online accounts.

Thanks

Harley

If you found this helpful, give me a kudo!

Login to Me Too

carmexn
New Community Member

Thank you @Insignia3D  I appreciate your fast and detailed response! 

I checked other forums, where some people advised against returning the funds as the person could reverse the original payment sent to me.

I doubt it was a mistake as the email features a full name, which is very unusual and uncommon therefore I do not think it was a typo.

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

Insignia3D
Contributor
Contributor

Hi @carmexn 

You are welcome, as I said if you don't know where the funds came from you may as well refund it once its refunded to you they cannot charge you for anything as the transaction would be marked as "Refunded +£xx.xx"

Thanks

Harley

If you found this helpful, give me a kudo!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.