Random Selection of the Backup Source for Pay After Delivery

mossi-p
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I am experiencing an annoying and particularly stubborn problem regarding the backup funding source for Pay After Delivery (PAD).

There are several payment cards saved within my wallet, each having specific individual advantages depending on the type of purchase, for example paying in a foreign currency.

On close inspection of the website there appears to be no way to select the card I wish to be my backup source, it is selected automatically.

If i delete certain cards from my wallet then the card I want selected will be selected but the problem resurfaces when I try to add the deleted cards again.

I then tried deleting all the cards and adding them in different orders, my reasoning being that the order in which the cards were added was a factor in the assignment of the backup source but i exhausted every possible order and the issue still persisted.

I tried making the desired card as backup by deleting the some of the other cards, making a purchase via PAD to lock up the funding sources then re-added the other cards but of course when I tried to buy something else the backup card had changed again..... so very infuriating!!

I also tried contacting support via web chat but they knew even less than I did.

I have two different prepaid cards in my wallet, both linked to the same account and one of them in particular seems to assume the backup source quite consistently. Due to the way I use these prepaid cards and the amount of buying I do on eBay it is not convenient to leave funds in the account for the purposes of the PAD backup source. I prefer to use a particular credit card.

Can anyone shed any light on this ridiculous behaviour?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mossi-p 

PAD works from a bank account and not a card, so why would you even need a particular back up funding source as long as you have funds in that bank account to fund the purchase 14 days later?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

mossi-p
Contributor
Contributor

I am aware that PAD works from a bank account. My issue is regarding the backup source, which is a card.

Maybe you do not buy very much on eBay but I do. Its a lot of transactions to keep track of and the bank account is used for many other things besides Paypal.

I would prefer to ensure my payments are covered in the event of something unforeseen leaving insufficient funds in the account to cover purchases made a fortnight before.

Hence the rationale behind having a backup source.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@mossi-p 

I understand that, in that case why use PAD?

If you pay the normal way then the funds would leave your bank account much more quickly and you would be able to keep up with what is going out better?

Personally i think PAD is a waste of time as it gives you no more buyer protection just a few more days to pay ie a period of 'interest free credit' provided by paypal.

Why not just fund the payments from your cards in the first place?

Not sure you can actually define which card you want as your back up to be honest.

However if you had a failed PAD and they used that backup then you would lose the option to use PAD in the future anyway.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.