Queensland

Hugall
Contributor
Contributor
Today I agreed to buy a product and was sent the sellers PayPal details, transaction went through then the seller said he had made a mistake and sent old details to an account he doesn't have access to anymore. How do I go about getting my money back?
Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hugall 

Firstly ask him if he still owns the email address of the old account? If so can he add it and verify it on his new account and the funds should show up.

He can have 8 email addresses on the 1 paypal account.

If not then secondly what does it say next to the transaction in YOUR paypal account?

1. Pending / Unclaimed.
2. Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.
3. Completed or Payment / Sent.
4. Pending / Uncleared.
5. Pending awaiting authorisation.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Hugall
Contributor
Contributor
Payment is completed. He said he doesn't have the password and the email doesn't exist anymore. He said that he had contacted PayPal and they said I had to wait10 days then say the item hadn't arrived and PayPal would give me my money back
Login to Me Too

Hugall
Contributor
Contributor
Sorry, the only thing i can see is it says 'money sent'
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Hugall 

Oh dear, I am suspicious you have been scammed, just need to confirm some details.

Firstly if it says money sent then you must have paid using the friends / family and not goods / services option?

If so and it was a payment for goods then you have negated your buyer protection and can't raise a dispute for non receipt of item.

Secondly if it says money sent then it has successfully completed to the email address that you sent it to and that email address must be linked to a valid paypal account. If it was closed or the email address no longer available then it would show as unclaimed with or without a cancel option. 

Lots of scam sellers use this tactic and ask you to pay using friends / family and then pretend they haven't received it knowing there is nothing you can do about it UNLESS you paid via a credit card when you may be able to do a chargeback BUT as it was a 'gift' payment even they sometimes refuse.

If any part of that i have got wrong post back.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Hugall
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for replying, I didn't use the friends option, that is why I am so frustrated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.