Problem with refunding a failed pending payment

Yasser20
New Community Member

About a week ago, I issued payments to a trusted source (Cengage learning if I were to go specific) and I am sure it wasn't a scam. They rejected both payments as appeared on the checkout website, but PayPal held the money and both transactions appeared as "Pending" in my Activity tab. I contacted Cengage to reject both payments so that I can get the money held by PayPal (I understand that PayPal holds money to make sure the money is in the credit card once the seller accepts the payment). Cengage customer service cancelled one of the payments and it disappeared from the Activity tab, is that normal? will the money be refunded to my card or do I need to contact PayPal customer service? Also, Cengage say that they have cancelled the second failed payment but it's still pending on my account, could this be a PayPal issue also?

Please note also that the money wasn't refunded to my PayPal balance when the transaction disappeared from my Activity tab.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Yasser20 

Cancelled payments go back to the funding source used in the first instance ie your bank account or card BUT allow a couple of weeks or so for it to complete.

If it remains pending then it should time out 30 days post payment.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.