Problem re: VISA prepaid card as preferred payment method

jrericks
Contributor
Contributor

I made an ebay purchase, and had entered a VISA prepaid card as my  preferred payment method. It was rejected 3 times. I then used my bank account to pay, and that was accepted right away, no problems. Why is this happening? I contacted HELP, and the person kept saying, "go back to your card issuer". This prepaid VISA card was purchased on Amazon, just like any prepaid card.  Regular credit cards go through a bank. This card should be treated just like cash. One would think this would be readily accepted. What is the problem using this prepaid card?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

jrericks
Contributor
Contributor

I just learned from giftcard.com that PayPal doesn't accept prepaid cards for payment AT ALL.  It would have been nice to know that when I added it as my preferred method. I find this really nonsensical b/c a prepaid gift card means the amount on the card has already been paid, which to me = cash payment.

Silly me, where did I get such an idea,...

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jrericks 

Probably have to register the card at card's website with the same name and billing address as on your PayPal account so PayPal can validate the card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too
Solved

jrericks
Contributor
Contributor

I just learned from giftcard.com that PayPal doesn't accept prepaid cards for payment AT ALL.  It would have been nice to know that when I added it as my preferred method. I find this really nonsensical b/c a prepaid gift card means the amount on the card has already been paid, which to me = cash payment.

Silly me, where did I get such an idea,...

Login to Me Too

1Lex-me
What about a visa cash app card?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.