Preferred Payment Method isn't being used

BH31
Contributor
Contributor

Hey All,

I have a credit card and debit card linked to my account.  My credit card has always been my preferred payment method. My debit card is only on there because they make you.   

Anyways, the original credit card was cancelled due to fraudulant chargers (not paypal related). So i logged in, deleted the card, and added the new credit card and marked it as preferred payment method. Sounds like i should be all set to make purchases through paypal expecting it to take the money from my credit card not my debit card, right? Well, this isn't happening.  I use a Mapco Gas App that is linked to my paypal account to make gas purchases. (It saves $0.05 off a gallon, lol) Well, I have used my Mapco app twice sense updating my new card/preferred payment method and it keeps taking the money from my debit card.  Unfortunately I dont ever use my debit card so i keep a very low balance. Thus, when I used this app 2 times it caused an overdraft in my checking account each time, costing me $25. I attempted to reach out to Paypal regarding this. I had to make a ticket, not knowing which drop down selection to choose i just picked one and then explained my problem in the notes.  Well, i just got an email from paypal saying claim denied!  No, explanation, no tips to keep this from happening again, nothing.   Not sure what else to do.   Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Login to Me Too
40 REPLIES 40

mengranz

Thank you for the experience that you've provided. The solution explains exactly what's happened with my issues.. Multiple merchants that charged a payment to my checking accounts rather than my preferred payment method (credit card) had their payment method set to "bank or card on file"... Looks like Paypal prioritized my bank account over the chosen preferred payment method in that scenario. I went back and changed all of those merchants' payment method to the specific credit card that I wanted to use.

Login to Me Too

Jak2021
Contributor
Contributor
I just did this forv1 automatic payment yesterday then I sent $20 to a new person. It gave me no options, it not an automatic payment & it's not using my preferred method.
Login to Me Too

lde1
Contributor
Contributor

I agree. I have $64 in overdraft fees from PayPal withdrawing from my savings account but my business checking debit card is clearly shown as my preferred method of payment. I've never made any changes to that. Two messages to customer service and they refuse to do anything about it. I will be glad to join a lawsuit over this.

Login to Me Too

lizjoe217
Contributor
Contributor

I called PayPal and listed three transactions in which my balance was drawn from instead of credit (credit is my preferred method). They only addressed one of the transactions and even then, told me to call the company that was on the other end of the transaction as if THEY decided to draw from my PP balance instead of credit. The company isn't even aware that I have PP credit, nor is it up to them which method I use. I think I'm going to cancel my card. 

Login to Me Too

Echurch549
Contributor
Contributor
I am having this issue right now. It is clear that my credit card is the prefered method of payment for both online and in store purchases. They keep billing my bank ($700 of items) and it overdrafted. I am not happy one bit.
Login to Me Too

HungryRobot
Contributor
Contributor
Well even after 3 tickets and numerous emails, calls etc still drafting bank for the same things (today randomly added in credit card) and I now have over negative $660
Login to Me Too

oftenabird
New Community Member

These days with all the fraud and scams, I would not be surprised if PP makes money split deals with banks to intentionally not use the "preferred" payment card method. You see most all business you deal with and others you don't, have access to ALL of our personal information. From user agreements to everything we do as they have access to everything, then judge you. They know how much is in accounts and even can listen in on phone, cam, you name it.

They judge you and charge you accordingly. Like vehicle insurance for example. You can have a great driving record, but low credit. They will charge you unreasonably based on your credit. Even though you pay insurance in advance. Funny how places charge late fee's for advance payments. Fraud everywhere, and done by businesses in so many ways. If you don't check accounts daily and copy paste for record, and don't record business phone calls, You might want to start. They will say whatever, as they think most of us won't record the call as they do. It is good for your record as you can call them out on it. & they try to say you can't record them, in the same biz call where they're recording you. Guess they have much to hide or alter. 

I'm going through same with PP, not using preferred method, and sick of having my time etc not compensated for when they steal it from my having to deal with the bs. 

Sooner or later I will close PP and the bank they are using as unauthorized method, as the bank likes to play shuffle the transactions to intentionally try to overdraft. Not all banks do this. 

Welp, in the end these businesses only hurt themselves. They want to waste my time with fraud, I'll spend much more time doing reviews! lol

Login to Me Too

DamLedmor
Contributor
Contributor
I have the same problem and I'm surprised that no one at PayPal had answered here with a solution.
Login to Me Too

Echurch549
Contributor
Contributor
I sent a ticket in over a month ago. No response.
Login to Me Too

BH31
Contributor
Contributor
So... I personally did not get my overdraft fee money back yet because I didn’t have exact dates handy when I called. However, call this numbe[Removed. Phone #s not permitted]and explain that your preferred payment method wasn’t used and mine didn’t you did not authorize was removed from your back up payment method. She said they would email your bank to notify that the transaction was made in error to get them to reimburse overdraft fees. She said it was changed bc a transaction with my preferrred payment method did not go through (which is unlikely that it happened). She could not give specifics on why it didn’t go through. She identified that it was happening recently with only 1 business and she was able to go in and change the payment arrangement for that business to correct the problem. Hope this helps! Good Luck getting your money back! Please share your success stories here if you do!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.