Preferred Payment Method isn't being used

BH31
Contributor
Contributor

Hey All,

I have a credit card and debit card linked to my account.  My credit card has always been my preferred payment method. My debit card is only on there because they make you.   

Anyways, the original credit card was cancelled due to fraudulant chargers (not paypal related). So i logged in, deleted the card, and added the new credit card and marked it as preferred payment method. Sounds like i should be all set to make purchases through paypal expecting it to take the money from my credit card not my debit card, right? Well, this isn't happening.  I use a Mapco Gas App that is linked to my paypal account to make gas purchases. (It saves $0.05 off a gallon, lol) Well, I have used my Mapco app twice sense updating my new card/preferred payment method and it keeps taking the money from my debit card.  Unfortunately I dont ever use my debit card so i keep a very low balance. Thus, when I used this app 2 times it caused an overdraft in my checking account each time, costing me $25. I attempted to reach out to Paypal regarding this. I had to make a ticket, not knowing which drop down selection to choose i just picked one and then explained my problem in the notes.  Well, i just got an email from paypal saying claim denied!  No, explanation, no tips to keep this from happening again, nothing.   Not sure what else to do.   Has anyone had this happen to them before?

Login to Me Too
40 REPLIES 40

DD5555
Contributor
Contributor
Yeah... that's a bunch of bs because our accounts still show that our chosen preferred method is still marked as such. No indication whatsoever that the preferred method was changed by them, & as for me, I always check my account balances before making a purchase, so I cry foul.
Login to Me Too

celticfairie
Who are you calling bs on, I'm confused. paypal is charging my debit even though my prefered method is clearly marked creditcard# -/@ I.. ... my card is not expired andhas more than enough funds for my small purchases. one of my reoccuring charges even started coming out of the wrong account. If it wasn't for me not cashing a check yet I would have over drafted. Icheck my accounts closely as well but how are we suppose to predict that paypal will make charges on the wrong account? especially when the month before all transactions* reoccurring and random purchases at different sites* were coming out of the correct account and there is no reason for paypal to charge a different card.
Login to Me Too

Zaim97
New Community Member
Try check the currency type of the product/service you are purchasing, Example: If you were to buy something let say in MYR currency. But in your current PayPall Balance is in USD. The default decision of the logic behind it goes to the bank/card instead since it does not match the currency type.
Login to Me Too

AnitaL2017
Contributor
Contributor

Im just running into this issue. I have my bank account set as prefered and all my purchases are declined telling me to add a credit card.. I do have a verified card.. I dont understand what the issue is, but once i clear the PP wallet balance, Im closing my account.

Login to Me Too

frustrated45
Contributor
Contributor

I am having a similar issue. I have set the PayPal MasterCard as my preferred payment option, and it has gone after my checking account twice. I removed that option. Now it has gone after another credit card (American Express) for a recent transaction. I actually took screen prints showing I selected the MasterCard. I have set the PayPal MasterCard as my preferred option at least three times. Today, I was on hold for over an hour before I gave up.

Good grief, what gives?

Login to Me Too

DD5555
Contributor
Contributor
Yes! This is bs. All transactions require authorization, & they are using our accounts without it.
Login to Me Too

triskit
This happened to me awhile back. Preferred set to checking. Paypal charges credit card. I thought it was my fault. I check the dashboard. The preferred is set to checking. Today. I use my paypal. Preffered set to Checking. I pay. And the money isn't taken out of my acount. I check the dashboard. It came from my Credit card. And ai check my preffered in dashboard and it is set to checking!!. Smh
Login to Me Too

Anonymous_User
Not applicable

-June 18th-I set my AMEX CC as my preferred and default card June 18th.  Received the e-mail from Paypal saying it was ready and set to be used as the default on June 18th. 

-June 18th-I paid for my AirBnB the same day through Paypal (PP) and it processed my default (AMEX CC) for the first part of the payment. (AirBnB split my transaction into 2 payments.  

-July 17th- my 2nd payment for my AirBnB was due.  It charged my BOA debit card and sent it into overdraft (OD), causing a $35 OD fee. (BOA card only used for minor purchases)  My Abnb has no payment method and is only set to withdraw for my default PP card (which is my AMEX)

-PP never sent me an e-mail or any previous notification nor asked for my authorization to process this payment through my BOA instead of my AMEX (preferred/default)

-July 18th-I had a $35 OD fee and decided to call PP.

Get on the phone with PP and they ask:

-Is your card expired? answer =no (Just got the AMEX CC this year May, 1 month)

-Do you have a limit on your card? answer =no (Platinum card has no spending limit and i don't plan on setting one.)

The customer service agent then says, "your AMEX CC poses a higher than usual risk, so it processed your BOA."

I asked if he could send that in an e-mail because i never received a notification stating that and i used it for the first half. He refused to send it and also told me that they dont refund for insufficient funds, also mentioned that he does not know why it didn't process after he told me the "higher risk," bull, and after 2 hrs of back and forth, had no solution and told me that there was nothing for him to do.

Throughout the entire convo he gave me 3 different answers that were absolutely not true and refused to provide proof of the reasoning behind deferring from using my preferred/default method of payment and also refused to at least give a credit for the overdraft fee and also refused to send a notification of the error to BOA.

-Called Airbnb and they confirmed that they can only pull from the default and PP has full control over what payment is pulled.

-Called BOA and they confirmed that it was fraudulent and unauthorized use of my debit card and it will be filed against PP for misuse.

-All in all PP denies having a gliche or technical issues, still denies that it was misuse, still will not give a credit for the OD fee, lied about the reasoning (if any) for not processing the payment through my AMEC CC.

From the previous comments, it is clear that this is PP's fault and they still have yet to resolve and reply with a solution and own up to their unauthorized transaction processing and misuse on what it seems to be a great amount of users.

-After my transaction of a refund is complete, i will be closing my account for sure. Everyone try GooglePay or Venmoe.

Login to Me Too

DD5555
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for writing this thorough account of your experience. This just happened to me for the 2nd time in 10days. Luckily, I haven't gotten an OD yet, but came close. After reading other comments, then your story, I've decided not to go thru the hassle w/pp & simply cancel my account with them. I believe they are acting fraudulently, as you said, they are not authorized to willy nilly change method of payment, yet deny any fault. I wonder if they are trying to deliberately self-destruct. Too bad. I'm switching to Samsung pay.
Login to Me Too

MinecraftGod
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here.  My old credit card was lost, so I replaced it, and since then the last three transactions have come out of my bank even though credit card is preferred.  I think I'll start looking at other payment providers.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.