Personal donations to business account

ElliotG
New Community Member

I'm a freelance artist and because of that I use my business PayPal as my main bank account. I use it for business donations (when my clients want to tip me extra after they've already paid or when they just wanna make a one time donation on Ko-Fi because they enjoy my work) and for invoices (the main and only way I use to organize commissions from my clients), but the problem is that sometimes I receive personal donations from friends or family. I live quite far away fro my family, so they send me money on my birthday and other holidays as a present. The problem is that since I apparently can't manually separate my business email/account from my personal ones, my friends and family are forced to send these as a "business payment", and it falls in my account as "payment", which... it isn't. And the more these pile up, the more concerned I am about my taxes, since business donations/tips are seen as gross revenue and I need to claim them as revenue in my taxes, which... they aren't.

Is there a way I can easily remedy this? Are my family members just lazy and/or stupid and can't find an easy button that says "personal donation" there or am I just trapped by this seemingly useful business account into receiving ONLY business donations for the rest of my life?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @ElliotG,

Thank you for your post! I'm happy to clarify for you. Even with a Business account, you can receive Friends and Family payments if the sender selects to send the payment that way.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.