Paypal not returning funds to me.

KierRodden
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I was recently stung by Linkedin charging me a full year for subscription to their Premium service, I contacted LinkedIn directly and they have agreed to refund 10 months worth of the premium service they charged me via Paypal. Despite me proving to Paypal that Linkedin have returned my funds via a receipt and and a screenshot of the Order ID Refund, Paypal are still yet to credit my balance with the returned funds. 

I have raised an issue via the Resolution Centre but they keep ruling in favour of the Seller. This is really starting to tick me off as Linkedin have refunded around £400 to me.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KierRodden 

If a refund is issued and there is a record of it in your PayPal account activity and marked completed, the funds will be returned to your original funding source which make take some time depending on funding source:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/where-is-my-refund-faq1212

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KierRodden 

If a refund is issued and there is a record of it in your PayPal account activity and marked completed, the funds will be returned to your original funding source which make take some time depending on funding source:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/smarthelp/article/where-is-my-refund-faq1212

Login to Me Too

Pranab_1982
Contributor
Contributor

I am facing same problem, Linkedin charge through PayPal 1 year membership, so I make dispute before contacting linkedin but unfortunately that favour gone to seller. But when I contact with LinkedIn they try 2 times refund my amount but its failed due to problem in PayPal. I write several message with details to Paypal, but single customer service not helping correctly. Still linkedIn want to refund my amount but its failed and bellow linkedin message.

""I apologize for the inconvenience. The refund failed again.

Transaction Id 654609215

Payment Gateway Response Code 10009

Request Id 704743235

This is a PayPal issue.

If you have further questions, please feel free to reply to this message.""

Paypal 10+ customer reply me without any hope, don't how they help large number paypal user.

Can you help me how I get my refund from linkedin

Thanks

Pranab

Login to Me Too

KierRodden
Contributor
Contributor
Hi Pranab, I eventually had the money returned, I constantly pestered LinkedIn until they refunded the amount manually. Not sure how they did it but that what they told me. Paypal were no help at all to be honest, constantly ruling in favour of seller despite me proving an issue had be refunded.
Login to Me Too

dfmarulanda
Contributor
Contributor
After two years they still have exactly the same problem
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Pranab_1982 

When I look up the response code all the reasons have to do with refund transaction. Read them below and see which one may be the reason your refund is not happening. My guess is that it has something to do with the transaction being disputed and closed. And so Linkedin is having a difficult time refunding through the transaction itself. Linkedin could just send you  money to your PayPal email address and be done with it.

https://developer.paypal.com/docs/classic/api/errors/#10009

-Account is locked or inactive.

-Account is restricted.

-Partial refunds can't be offered at this time because there is an open case on this transaction. Visit the PayPal Resolution Center to review this case.

-Can not do a full refund after a partial refund.

-Refund failed as receiver account is closed.

-The account for the counterparty is locked or inactive.

-The partial refund amount is not valid.

-The partial refund amount must be less than or equal to the original transaction amount.

-The partial refund must be the same currency as the original transaction.

-The PayerID is invalid.

-This transaction already has a chargeback filed.

-This transaction has already been fully refunded.

-You are over the time limit to perform a refund on this transaction.  (More than 180 days?)

-You can not do a partial refund on this transaction

-You can not refund this type of transaction.

-You do not have a verified ACH. (Note: This error occurs because you do not have sufficient funds in your PayPal balance to cover the amount of the refund and your PayPal account does not have an associated verified bank account. Be sure that you have sufficient funds in your PayPal balance and that you have verified the associated bank account.)

-You have not filled out the Direct Debit Instruction.

You'll have to call customer service again and see what they can do about this error code:

Log on, click HELP on top menu, scroll down to click CONTACT US, and then scroll down to click CALL US.

Or private message via social media:

Facebook (India): https://www.facebook.com/PayPalIN/

Facebook (US): https://www.facebook.com/paypal

Twitter: @AskPayPal

And be sure to cancel the Linkedin Automatic Payment profile so you don't get charged again or make sure it is canceled:

Go to Account Settings (gear icon) > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments

Select merchant on left, click Cancel on the right.

@KierRodden 

PayPal usual rule for the seller in these instances because more than likely a billing agreement was established upon conducting an initial transaction with a merchant so you agreed to pay and people aren't aware that this allows the merchant to re-up your subscription or whatever automatically, so you have to be mindful to cancel these automatic payments and billing agreements after your initial payment if you only want to subscribe for a year or you will continue to see strange payments.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.