Paypal keeps asking for credit card at online payment.

FortyTwo42
Contributor
Contributor

I want to purchase a Geforce Now Founders subscription. But when I want to pay with my bank account through paypal (linked and confirmed) it wants me to add a credit card.

I'm from the Netherlands. I don't have a credit card and I don't intend to get on either. How do I get paypal to just let me pay with me LINKED and CONFIRMED bank account? Because this completely eliminates the whole reason I even made a paypal account.

American companies need to realise that the use of credit cards is extremely uncommon in Europe.

I read on another thread that this happens when the payment is deemed riskful. But Nvidia is a major international company. What is risky about them> Why do you need to aproach such a massive international company with caution for a simply subscription payment of 6 euro's a month? That doesn't make any sense.

I will NOT get a credit card. Americans can have their credit card. I, as a European, choose to not get one.

Now please tell me how I can pay with my LINKED and CONFIRMED bank account without having to add a credit card.

Login to Me Too
9 REPLIES 9

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FortyTwo42 

PayPal needs a card as back up funding. Online services will also want to set up a recurring billing agreement and works best with credit card. If you do not have a card, you won't be able to complete payment. Sorry. Because online services recurring billing cycles can vary, your bank account may not have available funds when the subscription actually bills you so a credit card is required as back up. 

The company/merchant is not necessarily considered risky, you would be considered the risky one.

For highest performance of your PayPal account, have a bank account and credit card added. Since you don't have a credit card linked, you do not have a confirmed (billing/physical) address which could be another issue why the system is asking for a credit card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

FortyTwo42
Contributor
Contributor

This was the sole reason I made a paypal account. I never needed one before. No alternative means no paypal for me.

I also fail to see how credit cards are in anyway safer than bank payment as they are one of the main sources of debt in the US.

I did read something about billing agreements. How does that work?

Or maybe adding money to my paypal balance would work? Can paypal use that to secure the payment?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FortyTwo42 

If you are able to add funds in PayPal NL (not all countries are able to add money), try it, but PayPal may still ask you for a card as back up. Have that happened to me, I have balance to pay, but it still wanted to me to add/select a card as back up to set up billing agreement for streamlining checkout experience on future purchases. Had to go in and cancel the billing agreement in automatic payment page in PayPal because didn't want it.

Billing agreements give authorization to the merchant to charge your PayPal account if you buy a subscription service or even make one-time purchases at some online sites and the billing agreement by default takes money out of your PayPal balance and use your back up if you do not have enough in the PayPal balance with less steps during checkout that was pre-set on your very first transaction at the online site. 

It is important to keep your eye on billing agreements and decide when you make a transaction to keep it active or not. Some people sign up for trial periods of services and then forget, then they get billed suddenly and come here raving about how it it was unauthorized. PayPal can't do anything because it was authorized and wasn't canceled.

Login to Me Too

FortyTwo42
Contributor
Contributor

I can add funds on Paypal NL so I'll try that. Thanks for your help.

Have a good day/evening.

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@FortyTwo42 

Ok, you're welcome.

To access your automatic payment profiles:

Personal Acct:

Go to Account Settings (gear icon) > Payments > Manage Automatic Payments

Select merchant on left, click Cancel or Edit on the right.

Login to Me Too

Roman576
Contributor
Contributor
Hello, sorry for necro but did you manage to purchase gfn subscription without using credit card ?
Login to Me Too

agrows
New Community Member

en heeft het gewerkt om geforce now tekopen

Login to Me Too

rico801
Contributor
Contributor

Kansloos dit, dit is al jaren een probleem voor nederlanders. Amerikanen hebben geen flauw idee hoe een debit card werkt en rood staan wat hierboven voorbij komt.

Je **bleep** via paypal-opwaarderen.nl je toegoed aanvullen. Hou wel rekening met conversie naar bijv. GBP of USD. Je **bleep** dan betalen met je paypal tegoed. Dit werkt in 90% van de gevallen dat je het creditcard scherm krijgt. Helaas niet 100%, bij mijn Nintendo Switch werkte zelfs dat niet.

En ja, ik schrijf dit allemaal in het nederlands aangezien de amerikaanse support 0,0 respect heeft voor nederlandse klanten en ze echt geen benul hebben hoe creditcards hier werken of gezien worden, en dt een gekoppelde bankrekening vele malen veiliger is dan een al dan niet anonieme creditcard.

Login to Me Too

rico801
Contributor
Contributor

Lol zoveel respect zelfs dat de vervoeging van kunnen als scheldwoord wordt gezien. Succes 😃

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.