Paypal is Stubborn and Unfair About Fees

GoodPoint
Contributor
Contributor
This is me chat session from earlier today...

Me
10:51 AM
I was unable to get my issue resolved via this chat method and was told to call paypal, but the customer service line is closed due to COVID-19. I'm getting more than **bleep** off about the run-around I'm getting from Paypal. It's about time for me to close my Paypal accounts, including my credit card and never look back. I was charged a $9.04 fee for a $301.25 payment my son sent to me. The fee was due to Paypal defaulting the payment for "goods and services" and my son not knowing that he had to change that. I never accepted the payment and I refunded it in full immediately after I received it. I thought that would be the end of it, but I realized that Paypal issued the refund from my bank account, rather than from the Paypal balance I had after I received the payment. Further, they refunded $301.25 from my bank account and left $292.21 in my Paypal balance. That leaves me $9.04 short after simply refunding a payment that was sent incorrectly. Paypal paid no credit card merchant fees. I didn't accept the payment. I immediately refunded the payment, paypal issued the refund from my bank account, and the payment still sits in my Paypal account. This is wrong on so many levels. And now I've spent way too long trying to get this resolved out or principle. I just want my $9.04 back. You can choose whether or not me remaining a Paypal user and Paypal credit card holder is worth $9.04. I plan to share my experience online as well. So, please do the right thing so we can get on with it.

Argie
11:51 AM
Welcome to PayPal Messaging Center. My name is Gie. I'll be happy to assist.
I see how frustrated you are in having problems in the said transaction and with the transaction fees. Please allow 2-3 minutes to check everything here in my end.
Upon checking James, once the transaction was process as a payment for goods and service the receiver will be the one who will be charged even though it was mistakenly tag, we can't make changes on it, even you will issue a refund to the sender the fees will not be refunded.
It looks like you are away from our chat. That's alright! You can reply when you're back online and we'll continue to help you.

Our agent will respond to your message within an hour.

Me
12:59 PM
How unfortunate! I've been with Paypal for more than 20 years. You're losing me as a Paypal user and a Paypal credit card holder over $9.04 that I should not be charged. Social media is going to have a heyday with this. Reddit, Facebook, etc... The cost to Paypal over a stubborn policy protecting an unfair, if not illegal, practice will be exponentially greater than the $9.04 that I am owed. I have saved this dialog and will share it not only across social media, but also with corporate Paypal. Maybe there's someone in the ranks above your level who will fix this injustice for all Paypal users.
Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

rk34
New Community Member

Just had this happen to me too, my son sent the money at my request ...except the fees were $29.30. Glad I at least looked here prior to refunding him, but sheesh, it seems there should be a way for PayPal to back this out and just make it a friends and family transaction. Off to Zelle or Venmo we go 😞

Login to Me Too

hanusj
This also happened to me. There was never even an option to choose between goods and services or friends and family! I sent money and it showed no fees but the recipient was charged fees. This is unacceptable and incredibly misleading if not outright theft.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hanusj 

Then you sent a goods/services payment.

If you didn't have the friends/family option then maybe its not available in your country?

Hard to advise as you haven't said which country you are in.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.