Paypal intiating transfers without user knowledge

KumaTenshi
Contributor
Contributor

So I use Paypal for Netflix payments, it takes the money out of my bank account, usually everything goes pretty smoothly. Well, I happened to forget to have sufficient funds in my bank a earlier this month. That's on me, I had to straighten that out, deal with NSF from my bank and all. Paypal takes the brunt, puts my account into owing, all well and good. 

I get money into my bank account to cover everything, and I initiate a transfer to Paypal in order to cover the amount owing. 

Figure everything is fine, get an e-mail yesterday stating the funds were added, check my balance, 0. All is good. 

Until I open my e-mail earlier today and see another e-mail stating money as added to my Paypal account -.- 

Sure enough, another payment is taken out of my bank account, and it's in overdraft AGAIN. Which I now have to go and deal with AGAIN, through no fault of my own this time, because Paypal NEVER notified me it was going to do this. I received no e-mail when they initiated it, no e-mail telling me it was happening, NOTHING. I didn't get an e-mail until it had ALREADY been done. 

Super joyous fun -.- I'm just crossing my fingers my bank doesn't slam me again because of Paypal's asininity. And apparently, I can't take the funds OUT of my Paypal account right now, because my account is "limited". Which is whatever, the balance can be used to cover my next Netflix payment if nothing else. But this is still an utterly stupid situation to be put in. 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KumaTenshi

If there were not enough funds in your bank account for the transaction you were making then paypal will put your account into negative.

They they will try again a few days later, its an automatic process to try and clear your negative balance and if that again fails they may try your back up funding source ie a card.

If in the meantime you 'add' funds to your paypal account AT THE SAME TIME paypal 'applies' for those funds again and they leave the account a little later then 2 payments will go out.

Its best to wait for paypal to try again than add funds yourself.

IF 2 payments arrive together then x1 clears the balance and the other x1 is credited to your paypal balance.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

KumaTenshi
Contributor
Contributor

"If in the meantime you 'add' funds to your paypal account AT THE SAME TIME paypal 'applies' for those funds again and they leave the account a little later then 2 payments will go out.

Its best to wait for paypal to try again than add funds yourself."

Except I initiated it myself and FOUR FULL DAYS LATER, Paypal did it anyways. 

If it's "best" to wait for Paypal to do it, then they shouldn't be stating in their e-mail about a negative balance that you can bring it up yourself if you so wish. It should just blatantly state "We will attempt again in a few days, please ensure sufficient funds are in your bank account." PERIOD. 

As well, IF AND WHEN Paypal does it automatically, there should be an e-mail notifying the account holder of such, so they know a transfer has indeed been initiated, automatic process or not. Which they did NOT do. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@KumaTenshi

Except I initiated it myself and FOUR FULL DAYS LATER, Paypal did it anyways. 

Yes because they probably 'applied' again for the payment about the same time.

Yes I agree it would be much better if they 'warned' you that they would do that rather than saying 'clear your neg balance'.

Again yes to your last point I don't disagree with you on that one either.

When i had a neg balance i used my debit card and cleared it over the phone, that way they didn't apply again, so they should offer you that option.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

KumaTenshi
Contributor
Contributor

"Yes because they probably 'applied' again for the payment about the same time."

No. Were that the case, the dates showing on my bank statement online would be around the same time. I put the first one through myself on the 15th, bank posted it on the 17th. The one that Paypal initiated and didn't tell me about posted on the 21st. 4 full days later.

Regardless, the point is to warn people that Paypal is doing this without warning or notification, which is unacceptable and can easily end up with people playing the loop around game and constantly being dinged with NSFs, which in my banks case, is 48 dollars that I really do not have ATM.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.