Paypal cover through marketplace

DN_1
Contributor
Contributor

Dear All, I found a nice mobile phone at a very convenient price on marketplace (a little too convenient I am scared). The seller would ship it to me upon receiving the payment on paypal and has similar items in display and has even lowered the price since we started talking (he has now told me he'd accept a sum equal to 45% the retail price on amazon), but he doesn't want me to use the goods/services option as payment (which would grant me paypal protection). He told me that if I pay with the friends/family option but using a bank account I am still covered. Is he correct? thanks in advance!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DN_1 

A friends / family (or gift payment) is intended as a transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.
However as it is a gift payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade paying his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.