Paypal Refusing to Honor Paypal Foreign Exchange Refund Policy -- Bizarre

bsalita
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased a 600 Eur item on ebay.fr using paypal.fr account. The item was priced in US dollars but the seller was in Germany. Perhaps the seller was an American expat. Within hours I was notified by eBay that they (eBay) had canceled the transaction and that I will receive a refund. While I received the refund in 48 hours, it did not include reimbursement for any of the foreign exchange fee assessed by paypal, about 35 Eur. I raised a dispute with paypal but they replied that they do not refund foreign exchange fees. I replied with a link to their FAQ (below) which explicitly states foreign exchange fees are to be included with refunds. I urged them to read their own FAQ and, if still unclear, to reach out to their legal team for clarification. It's now been over a week and paypal has not responded to that request.

https://www.paypal.com/fr/smarthelp/article/How-do-I-request-a-refund-FAQ406

This is such a bizarre situation. Paypal is refusing to honor their own policy. Furthermore, the transaction was canceled within hours and the cancellation was initiated by ebay or possibly the seller.

How should I proceed to get paypal to just do what they explicitly say they'll do?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bsalita 

• within one day of the original payment date, we will use the transaction exchange rate in effect on the original payment date to ensure that you receive the original amount (including the currency conversion you paid );
  • beyond one day after the date of the original payment, we will use the transaction exchange rate in effect at the time of the conversion of the returned amount. This means that you may not receive the full amount of your original payment due to exchange rate fluctuations.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bsalita
Contributor
Contributor

Please reread my post.

Login to Me Too

bsalita
Contributor
Contributor

I see no one is able to propose a solution. The situation is bewildering. If you have an identical situation, contact me. Paypal has breached their customer agreement so I'll have to seek other resolution options.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.