Paypal Cashcard Debit + Target B&M

Ava_B
Contributor
Contributor

I tried doing a search all over for this, but I'm not seeing the results that would help me. Hopefully someone here can help.

So, I've made purchases with my cashcard -- not prepaid debit -- in brick & mortar stores before. I've used the chip, I've never had problems with my pin, I know how this works, lol. But in Target today, I had trouble in self checkout. I don't recall having this problem before, but there's a chance I'd used my prepaid debit last time. I know Target doesn't accept Paypal on their online shop, but what about in person? Do they read Paypal Cashcards as Paypal itself? I'm in Southern California, and normally shops are pretty up to date with alternative forms of payment besides bank debit or credit.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Ava_B
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, so I was finally able to load Target's "help" site (I'd spent 10 minutes trying to get it to actually load). Somehow I'd earlier read an old version of their terms with Paypal. They do accept it, but for some reason the in-store card reader kept rejecting Paypal Cashcard debit's chip. I'd still like to know what others have experienced, if you had this problem, and how you were able to resolve this. 

Somehow I have a feeling no one actually cares, though. 😕

Login to Me Too

Ava_B
Contributor
Contributor

Not that anyone's bothering to help, but this thread explains the actual problem I was having at Target, except for them it was in Walgreens, and I was never charged. It just rejected the Cashcard and told me to call my card provider. The problem is that I don't know if the chip itself is causing issues, or if Paypal's Cashcard has yet to be widely accepted. In theory, it's just a debit card. I'd rather know ahead of time what trick I need to do, like suggest it be read as a credit vs debit, or use the strip instead of the chip. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.