Payment to friends and family still pending

tats09
Contributor
Contributor

Every month I send some money to a family member overseas. The last 2 months, paypal has held the paypment on my side as "pending" for 10 days. My December payment was made on 20th December and it's showing as Pending until 30th December. I definitely selected Send to Friend or Family so why is PayPal doing this? I have been unable to find anything helpful in the FAQ.

Login to Me Too
52 REPLIES 52

mbeas96
Contributor
Contributor
Lol, instead of recognizing this is a problem, you blame me for "misusing" the PayPal system. So I'm assuming every signle other person having this same exact problem is misusing the system. Wow. Death to PayPal. Time to look into other options to *instantly send money*
Login to Me Too

BPettit806
New Community Member
I know this post was originally like 3 years ago, but I am just glad to see that I am not the only person who has experienced this issue after months/years of PayPal use w/ no problems. There has been nothing “suspicious” about me sending or receiving my friends/family members money when needed. This is the third time it has happened to me, even when it says it will be received “in seconds.” Always getting constant runarounds from CSR, such as “oh looks like our system processed it too late, it won’t be available until tomorrow now.” I am going to look into these other transfer apps, I suggest everyone else do the same because PayPal has caused more headache and frustration than anything else recently!
Login to Me Too

mmarland
Contributor
Contributor
I’m having the same issue!
Login to Me Too

Traore93
Contributor
Contributor
I have the same problem to 04/10/20 my brother send me the money i received the money and I send him back (refund send)but is still pending. My brother can't send me the money back.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Traore93 

Pending refunds can only happen for two reasons.
1. You issued a refund from your bank account which takes time to process.

2. Your brother  funded the payment to you using their bank account as their funding source. What PayPal do here is credit you the funds on their behalf (so there is no delay in despatching any item if applicable). Then if you refund in the meantime they are unable to access this until the original bank transfer completes.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ShaulG
Contributor
Contributor

You wrote "You are replying to posts made in 2015 and 2016 and things have been updated since then on a lot of paypal info."

Perhaps.. but this JUST happened to me... I'm disgusted with PayPal's lack of response and responsibility...

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ShaulG 

Paypal payments are never instant, that is why if you are paying for goods paypal credit the seller upfront and paypal take the wait for the funds to transfer from the buyer, this is so there is no delay in the despatch of any items.

That is why we get buyers on here confused that there item is on the way but the funds haven't left their bank account yet (its quicker with a debit or credit card of course).

However friends / family payments that are funded via a bank account paypal do not credit in advance, this time its you and the recipient that have to take the wait for the funds to transfer. And as a lot of folks use the bank account option (as there is no fee) then paypal use the slowest (cheapest) transfer option which goes via ACH in batches.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Bathtub_Jenny
Contributor
Contributor
This advice helped me in 2020.
Login to Me Too

Prhoden07
Its 2021 and I'm literally having the exact same issue. Let a family member borrow some money and they sent it back via paypal and it's been pending a week now even though it's cleared their bank and paypal was given a tracking number from them to prove it. Makes no sense.
Login to Me Too

Thedonleonardo
Contributor
Contributor
Seriously. This outfit are remorseless thieves. They’ll hold a payment as long as they’d like without offering any explanation. No regard for their customer’s plight. PayPal can and WILL hold your money until they’re done doing whatever it is they do with it, which is most likely loaning it out for profit to some other large corporation who are at the same time **bleep** their customers over. Theyre laughing all the way to the bank with OUR money.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.