Payment to a closed account

Diggzy64
New Community Member

Hi , have have been paid an amount in to an old account that has an email address that no longer exists . I contacted Ebay and their system shows the old PayPal account closed . Because the old email is now obsolete I have no way of access to the funds. Any advice appreciated. TIA

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Diggzy64 

If its the old email address then if you still own it then 'add' it to your paypal account as you can have up to 8 on the 1 paypal account and the funds should show, if not then................

You need to contact your buyer(s) and ask them to see what it says in their paypal accounts either:
1. Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.
2. Pending / Unclaimed.
3 Completed.

If its:
Pending / Unclaimed with a cancel option.

Ask them to cancel the payment but tell them that it will take a few days to go back to their funding source. Then get them to use the "send money" > Goods/Services option and pay to your email address. Tell them DO NOT use the ebay option or it will direct them to ebay checkout and the same thing will happen. They may not want to do this and so you could then cancel the transaction. OR you can send them a money request.

Pending / Unclaimed.

If there is no cancel option then the buyer will get their money back automatically 30 days after paying.
Again they may not want to pay you again until they get their money back so you may need to cancel the transaction for them.

Completed.

If its completed then come back for more advice.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ1467

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.