Payment on hold for "government regulations"

robotbacon
Contributor
Contributor

In all of my years with PayPal, I've never seen this message on a payment :

"We've temporarily put this payment on hold while we verify that it complies with regulatory requirements. We'll contact you about this within 24-72 hours. To learn more, see PayPal goods or services regulations." (The link is dead in both this message and the email.)
A different message was in the payment email:

"To comply with government regulations, PayPal is required to review certain transactions. This payment is currently being reviewed and we will complete this process within 72 hours. This review only involves this transaction and does not affect the use of your PayPal account for other transactions."

The payment is for $10 worth of common action figures; I don't have any disputes with anyone and I file my taxes. Buyer is one state away from me, and we're bot verified. I've been on PayPal for many years and even have a PP debit card. Has anyone else ever seen this message? Is it about ME, or is it about the person who paid me? Very confused right now.

If anyone else has faced this, can you tell me what it's all about?

Login to Me Too
77 REPLIES 77

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

@Remind

Does the seller have the authority to use the Persian Blue trademark? 

Login to Me Too

Remind
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I learned today that I was declined -"To comply with regulatory requirements, we had to decline this payment and refund your money."  That is all the information I was sent.  After I received this, I placed the same order subtract the INK PAD(Persian Blue) and it went through.  I still don't understand why there was a problem with the transaction and why it wasn't approved. Has our national security come down to an INK PAD purchase?

The company was established in 2014 and from the blog it apprears the INK PAD with the color "Persian Blue" came out in March 2016.

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

You took out Persian Blue orjut ink pad?

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

The only links I can remotely see that could flag this with the government is that Persian Blue is a salt mined in Iran, or color is used in mosques and places in the Middle East; name is a representation of the color of a mineral called lapis lazuli coming from Persia and Afghanistan. Guess anything to do with that area is flagged.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Persian Blue is also trademarked.

Login to Me Too

TulipLover
Contributor
Contributor

I just got this message on a sale. All I can think of as a trigger word is Muslin, which looks an awful lot like Muslim, but that does appear rather ridiculous.

Login to Me Too

MinaHarker

The same thing happened to me today.  I ordered Sterling Silver and Gold Filled Persian Diamond Shape Earrings, Chainmaille Earrings, Sterling Earwires.  This is beyond ridiculous.

Login to Me Too

Saroyan
Contributor
Contributor

I just ran into this same problem.  I had a customer's order put on hold for government regulation review.  It was to be shipped to Canada from California.  Today it was marked "failed".  After reading this thread, I realize the problem is that the product they were purchasing were finger cymbals for belly dancing.  No big deal, we sell 45 different styles.  BUT, this particular style is called "Persian".  I hate to think after selling this model for the last 47 years, that we have to change the name because someone wrote a really bad algorithim.  

Login to Me Too

TulipLover
Contributor
Contributor

It really is rather bizarre, but at least we now know which terms to avoid in our listings. 

Login to Me Too

Msamazon
Contributor
Contributor
It looks like a pattern. Anything with the word “ Persian” appears to be flagged for this. I’m having the same difficulty as I purchased a Persian rug. And it’s been 7 days and still no release on the payment 🤷‍♀️
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.