Payment on hold for "government regulations"

robotbacon
Contributor
Contributor

In all of my years with PayPal, I've never seen this message on a payment :

"We've temporarily put this payment on hold while we verify that it complies with regulatory requirements. We'll contact you about this within 24-72 hours. To learn more, see PayPal goods or services regulations." (The link is dead in both this message and the email.)
A different message was in the payment email:

"To comply with government regulations, PayPal is required to review certain transactions. This payment is currently being reviewed and we will complete this process within 72 hours. This review only involves this transaction and does not affect the use of your PayPal account for other transactions."

The payment is for $10 worth of common action figures; I don't have any disputes with anyone and I file my taxes. Buyer is one state away from me, and we're bot verified. I've been on PayPal for many years and even have a PP debit card. Has anyone else ever seen this message? Is it about ME, or is it about the person who paid me? Very confused right now.

If anyone else has faced this, can you tell me what it's all about?

Login to Me Too
77 REPLIES 77

robotbacon
Contributor
Contributor

Still nothing.

I did some searching and all I can find is that a words in the message can trigger reviews.

The only word in the message that is in any was unusual is 'dio' - because I'm selling a set of diorama pieces to someone.

Still, any help would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too

skymods
New Community Member

The exact same thing happened to me twice in the last week with people ordeing the same product. Very interesting about the word "dio" since that is in my product description. Whats up with that? I have just changed to read "diorama" instead.

Login to Me Too

BasilArgyros
New Community Member
Ditto - I ordered an audio recording of a university lecture with the words "Islamic Caliphate" in the title, and was delayed - presumably to check on whether I were a prospective terrorist or not . . .
Login to Me Too

Heartgal101
New Community Member

Well, I got the same thing when I ordered a replacement pump for my pressure washer. How is that a national threat?

Login to Me Too

DPCreations
Frequent Advisor
Frequent Advisor

Maybe the problem is with the seller.  You haven't provided seller details or where the seller actually obtains products.

Login to Me Too

BReddy
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting –

I bought a book of Persian fairy tales from a Goodwill store, and got the same message and then the payment was reversed by PayPal.  So the word “Persian” is now against government regulations???

Login to Me Too

lancelotme
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

is the title of the book on Paypal transaction?

Did the bookstore send you a Paypal invoice stating Persian?

Login to Me Too

The same thing happened to me when I signed up for Persian lessons. Glad to know I am not the only one with this issue.
Login to Me Too

SueCooper
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a "Damascus steel cross pendant for $25 and have been waiting four days for the payment to be approved. I suppose it's because of the word Damascus! Rediculous!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.