Payment on hold. Buyer confirmed receipt. No answer from PayPal. Money still on hold.

jalabamajay
Contributor
Contributor
I have had my PayPal account in good standing since 2016. I sold an item to a Canadian buyer. Both of us agreed that the payment for this item ($8,830 USD) would be easiest to be completed via PayPal. Wrong! We did not know about the extreme wait time for her payment to post in my PayPal account. She marked the item as delivered and she emailed PayPal at least 7 times that she is satisfied with the service and authorized the $8,440 USD (they took an arm and a leg for fees which are not on hold). I too, asked PayPal by email and messages to please make this payment available to me as soon as possible during these difficult times. It is very urgent! Neither the buyer, nor me got a human on the phone, or any reply to emails and messages. I am now worried that PayPal may be hanging on to my money indefinitely to make interest off it and for their net sheets for investors. Our family of 15 really needs this money, that belongs to us, urgently!
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jalabamajay 

This is a high risk transaction. PayPal is worried about this person disputing their money back as they have 180 days to do so. For that amount, a wire transfer would have been better. Doesn't matter how good of a standing your account is. PayPal don't want you taking off with the funds just yet. If you had $10K+ already sitting in the PayPal account, and normally working with large amounts, maybe just maybe they would have released it earlier but that's not the situation is it?

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

jalabamajay
Contributor
Contributor
True. Unfortunately, the buyer had issues not being able to wire money from her Canadian bank account while she was out of country at the time. She asked if she could send it via PayPal and I agreed. I had no idea that it would take a long time to lift the hold, especially since she accepted the received service and emailed PayPal. With all of that, she would not be able to dispute it in 180 days.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.