Payment issue w/ ebay purchase, money taken 5x times - no response from Paypal after 36 hours

SeanSh
New Community Member

Hi, 

I made an ebay purchase on Friday night, winning an auction - I've used ebay and paypal for a long time without any issues but this has gone completely wrong on this occasion. 

I came to pay as I've done many times before, however I've had a couple of situations in the past where the payment has been pending for 5 days, so on this occasion I tried to pay by card. It didn't work, with the error message "We can't process your payment. Please select a different payment method or check your payment details including your billing address". So I tried doing it again via Paypal this time. It failed again. I tried changing the 'post to' address to my home instead of work in case that was the issue - First by card, and again when that failed I tried by Paypal, which also failed. I kept trying because, as it said in the error message - "please select a different payment method". 

At this point I thought I'd check my account and realised I'd been charged ALL 4 TIMES, all the while failing every time. So not only have I been charged 4 times, the item is still showing as unpaid. 

I've been trying to contact Paypal ever since. I got through to my bank, who told me that the money has been ringfenced so until the payment fails there's nothing they can do their side to cancel. I also spoke to ebay, who told me there were no issues their side and to contact paypal, however they did help let the seller know I was having difficulties.

Stupidly, I tried it again last night - just in case it was a timed issue. It wasn't, and I've been charged a FIFTH time now. Thankfully, the seller is being understanding about this but right now I couldn't be more disappointed in the (lack of ) service or response I've received from Paypal. Twitter, Twitter DM's, emails and phone calls (their robots are terrible and couldn't find a valid option for me). Doesn't matter how I try to contact them, I've had absolute radio silence.

If they can't cancel these payments then I just want to know that (a.) the payments will be cancelled successfully, (b.) the money will be returned to me, and (c.) at some point I can actually pay this person properly. To add insult to injury, I've just been paid successfully for an item I've sold - so it's not like there's an issue with my account.

Hoping that someone here can offer some advice, because currently I'm getting Sweet FA out of of Paypal. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Donna

Hello SeanSh,

Welcome to the PayPal community and thank you for your post.

As your question is very account specific, I would advise you to contact our customer care department who can help you further. You can do this by clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of every PayPal page. You can also contact us via our Facebook Page or Twitter @askPayPal.

-Donna

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.