Payment come out twice

megaanxxx
Contributor
Contributor
Basically I’ve ordered something online the order has only gone through once as I’ve checked my order history but it’s showing in my bank account and PayPal history that the payment has come out twice! The payment is still pending but it will not allow me to cancel one of the payments what can I do? Or am I best off calling PayPal? Thank you in advance X
Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@megaanxxx 

Are you sure you were charged twice? If you were there would be duplicates both on PayPal and your bank account totaling to 4 transaction entries of the same transaction.

When you pay with PayPal there will be a record of the purchase in the account of the payment method used and a record of it in your PayPal account. There should be one that says Pending in the Recent transactions of the summary page and when you click on Activity page, that transaction should be listed in the Pending section as well. 

So do you see two of the same transaction on the Activity page?

I think that if there is a duplicate transaction and both are pending, it possible that they have to be completed first in order for anything can be done about it, click on one of them and click "Report a problem" should that be the case. That said, if both transactions are pending, you should allow the seller to capture the payment, perhaps they'll only be able to capture one of them and then the other will expire and drop off as if it never happened the funds will be released in a few days. 

Click on the transactions and there should be a note indicating they are temporary authorizations. If one order when through then the seller should be able to capture just one of the pre-auths.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

megaanxxx
Contributor
Contributor
Yes there is a total of four payments, 2 in my bank account and 2 from PayPal. The two payments for PayPal both say pending but not giving me the option to “cancel or report problem” but yes it does say they are temporary authorised. If I call PayPal will they be able to cancel the payment there end or would I still have to wait? Thank you!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.