Payment Withdrawals without claiming payment

tewing1983
Contributor
Contributor

I sent a payment an e-mail address that was not associated with the account.  The payment remained pending but the withdraw was still made from my bank account. Is this standard procedure or should the person have to claim the payment for it to be withdrawn? I've never had a situation like this with previous payments because I've never sent a payment to the wrong e-mail.  It did allow me to cancel the pending payment -but again the withdraw was already made from my bank account.  

Thank you in advance!

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @tewing1983,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum!

In general, when you send a payment and you use your card as a funding source, the amount is immediately charged. If you choose your bank account, the amount is charged after a couple of days and this happens regardless of the status of the PayPal payment. If the transaction remains 'Unclaimed' and you manage to cancel it, the amount will be refunded to the original funding source used for the payment. 

I hope this helps!

Martina 

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

PayPal_Martina
Administrator
Administrator

Hi @tewing1983,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Community Forum!

In general, when you send a payment and you use your card as a funding source, the amount is immediately charged. If you choose your bank account, the amount is charged after a couple of days and this happens regardless of the status of the PayPal payment. If the transaction remains 'Unclaimed' and you manage to cancel it, the amount will be refunded to the original funding source used for the payment. 

I hope this helps!

Martina 

Login to Me Too

tewing1983
Contributor
Contributor
Perfect!! Thank you for your help. That is was I needed to know.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Randy

@tewing1983,

You're very welcome.  Please reach back out to us here in the Community if you have any further questions or concerns.  In the meantime, we hope that you have a fantastic day!  🙂 

- Randy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.