Payment Verification

shelbs7844
New Community Member
Hi guys I’m about to do a transaction with an overseas customer. I’m selling my laptop $1700 to someone in America. Just wondering how to avoid being scammed as I was just scammed from someone within Australia. When the money is pending in my account will all I have to do is enter in a tracking number for the payment to be confirmed into my account or does it need to be marked as received by the customer? Thanks
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@shelbs7844 

Sorry but i bet its the below scam as would someone really need to buy a laptop from Australia when they are in the U.S? Do you not think they have a few available there? Read this to check.................

SCAM.

They encourage you to accept a 'direct' Paypal payment and may ask you to send the item internationally.
No funds or activity of the transaction shows in your Paypal account and any emails 'may' go into your junk/spam folders.

You will get/got a "fake" email that looks as though it is from paypal.....it isn't because they don't actually have a Paypal account and have no intention of paying you.
It will say the buyer has paid ...you won't have been paid.
They will tell you that the payment is released when you provide paypal with a tracking/shipping number......this won't happen.

Paypal NEVER tell you to send an item before the payment is showing in your paypal account.
Paypal do not tell you to send trackable, they advise it for selling protection but it is not compulsory.

HOWEVER.........

If it is a genuine buyer then the risks depend on MANY factors all listed in Paypals seller protection policy for you to read so you can risk assess your transactions.
Legal (bottom right of Paypals pages) > user agreement > seller protection.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.