Payment Pending for DOB of third party #PaypalWantsYourKidsDOB

Really_Peiphal
Contributor
Contributor

So I'm sending $$ to a friend in Cali for a retirement gift. I use peeper. The $$ is pulled from my bank, and then goes pending for an investigation. I don't send $$ but like 5 times a year with Peeper, probably less, so I am astonished that this would raise any flags. I've had an account with Peeper since 2004, and this is the first time something has gone pending with now cancel button.
Peeper sends me an eMail and they are asking for a DOB, date of birth, but not for me, but someone else. They aren't asking for either person in the transaction, but a third party all together. How creepy is that? This person does NOT have a peeper account and has not agreed to their data collection. Maybe this person is a minor under the age of 13? In any case, the third person is not comfortable giving them their information, and I'm not comfortable giving any PII, Personally Identifiable Information, to Peeper if they haven't agreed to a contract with peeper.

So I call, and the T1 person at peeper and they can't cancel and they can't send, and they send me over to "Dave". "Dave" is a real piece of work. "Dave" says that they can hold my $$ indefinitely until I provide that DOB so they can complete their investigation. Indefinitely is not 30 days that they show as holding pending payments for review. I tell "Dave" that I'm not giving them a DOB/PII for someone that they don't have a contract/consent to handle their data.

"Dave" says that it is in internal investigation and not mandated by a law enforcement agency or government body, and I have no recourse other than to give the required information.

Anybody else have this happen? Should I just give fake data and let the investigation fail? I have sent the $$ by other means, and I've cancelled all my Peeper autopays and accounts that use it like eBay. This is too weird. There isn't a pattern of misuse to deserve them asking for the DOB of an unknown third party. #PaypalWantsYourKidsDOB

PayPal Privacy Statement

Effective Date: November 13, 2018

Choices Relating to the Personal Data We Collect

Personal Data. You may decline to provide Personal Data when it is requested by PayPal, but certain Services or all of the Services may be unavailable to you.

With the other parties to transactions when you use the Services, such as other Users, merchants, and their service providers: We may share information with the other participants to your transactions, including other Users you are sending or receiving funds from, and merchants or their service providers when you use the Services to pay for goods or services. The information includes:

• Personal Data necessary to facilitate the transaction;
  • information to help other participant(s) resolve disputes and detect and prevent fraud; and
  • aggregated data and performance analytics to help merchants better understand Users and to help merchants enhance Users’ experiences. 
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Sadna
Contributor
Contributor
How did you resolve this? I am having the same issue
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.