Paying by Paypal without any funds in the Paypal Account

twowisebirdsmm
New Community Member

Hi,

I would like to make a purchase from ebay and pay through Paypal - but there are no funds in my Paypal account.

Will Paypal take the funds out of my bank account, or do I have to top up my Paypal account before I can make a purchase?

Many thanks.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

PayPal will take the funds from your bank account, or card whichever is your preferred payment method.

If you only have your bank account on file then you will send an echeque which will take up to 10 days to clear to the seller.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
67 REPLIES 67
Solved

classy-diva
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

PayPal will take the funds from your bank account, or card whichever is your preferred payment method.

If you only have your bank account on file then you will send an echeque which will take up to 10 days to clear to the seller.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Wayne

Well done classy-diva! Smiley Happy

Login to Me Too

3leo4love
New Community Member

paying direct from bank

Login to Me Too

emily14
New Community Member

My Royal Bank of Scotland will endeavour to put funds in my Paypal on Tuesday 3rd May.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.

Marion Rose  (aka veralynn111)

Login to Me Too

PayPal_barry

Hello all, here’s a heads up on how your funding works when making payments. When you use PayPal to send money, we always attempt to take the funds from your PayPal account balance first. If you have no PayPal balance, or not enough to cover the whole transaction, the remainder will be taken from your bank account. If you don’t have a bank account confirmed with PayPal, your debit or credit card will be charged instead.

The payment method hierarchy is as follows:

1. PayPal Balance.
2. Instant Bank Transfer.
3. Credit or Debit Card.
4. eCheque.

The default payment method cannot be changed on your account but can be changed per transaction. To change the payment method for a transaction, click the 'Change' or 'More Funding Options' link on the final page during the Send Money process and select a different payment method.

Note: Once the payment is sent, you cannot change your payment method.

Login to Me Too

dkika
New Community Member

what if you already made all the transactions and you added balance to your paypal, you have nothing left in the bank, and you already comfirmed that you want to pay for something from ebay, do they take from your bank still....or take from the transaction made, so grabing whats enterting paypal already after all the transactions made.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Siobhán

Hi there dkika,

If you have added funds from your bank to your PayPal balance that have not yet cleared to your balance and completed a payment in the meantime the payment will then also be taken from the bank account.

Siobhan

Login to Me Too

Mikestu
Contributor
Contributor

I do have £152 funds in my account and i wanted to send £140.to a friend. and paypal refused it saying "you must add funds to your account".This is not the first time this has happened, last time i wanted to send my grandaughter her birthday money through her paypal and i was refused with the same.Just before i was refused i paid my ebay fees.....they took this payment quick enough!!!!! I m fed up with having to worry whether paypal feels like letting me withdraw or send money when i have the funds in my account!!!!

Login to Me Too

Emmacoombs23
New Community Member
I was recently issued a £3.49 refund. After checking PayPal to confirm refund had been received I noticed above the refunded about there was another transaction station £3.06 had been 'transferred to credit card' what does this mean and why has it happened. :-&
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.