Paying by Paypal without any funds in the Paypal Account

twowisebirdsmm
New Community Member

Hi,

I would like to make a purchase from ebay and pay through Paypal - but there are no funds in my Paypal account.

Will Paypal take the funds out of my bank account, or do I have to top up my Paypal account before I can make a purchase?

Many thanks.

Login to Me Too
67 REPLIES 67

i have paid  for my ebay items with no funds in my bank or paypal yet it let me do it why has this happened and was a genuine mistake

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi scottishcherrie,

If you sent your payment using an instant bank transfer, PayPal pay these funds on your behalf and we then go over the next couple of days and request the funds. If the funds are unavailable your bank will decline it and your back up card will be charged. If we can not access the funds from your back up card, we may take your account in to a negative balance to resolve.

Just to note: if your bank decline that payment you will receive an email from PayPal informing you that your payment has been declined.

I hope this helps

Paula

Login to Me Too

Jeannie1997
New Community Member

Hi I am having an issue where as I have enough money in my bank to pay for an eBay item but when I click pay and confirm PayPal then asks me to register a different card because I have insufficient funds why is this I need help

Login to Me Too

PayPal_paula

Hi Jeannie1997, 

I would recommend that you review your registered financial information to ensure that it is up to date. If you do not have a registered card and only have a registered bank account you will not be able to make instant payments and all your payments will be sent via echeck. Some merchants (sellers) may not accept echecks and you may need to add a card as a back up funding source to allow you send instant payments. 

To check your registered financial information please go to the "my money" section located on your Profile tab on your PayPal account. If there is no card registered please click on add a card and update the relevant information. This should resolve it for you. 

Thanks for posting and please let us know how you get on.

Paula 

Login to Me Too

LeishaP
New Community Member

hello

i have paid by Paypal an it has been completed, i have no funds in my paypal account or bank accoutn (i was unaware of this), the money wont now be in my account until month end, does this mean i wait a few days for it to be refused by the bank, the items wont be sent to me in the mean time will they if they belive funds have gone through ?

sorry im new to paypal !

thank you

Login to Me Too

w1chw1z
Contributor
Contributor

Although the Paypal transaction page allows the seller to reject  an echeque payment, Ebay rules (so I noticed after rejecting such a  payment) say that a seller must accept echeques. So how is it fair that a buyer, having accepted a seller's reasonable requirement to be paid  within three days,  can - by paying by echeque which takes from 7-10 days to clear - circumvent the contract they have entered into with the seller to pay within three days of the end of the listing?

Surely under such circumstances, echeque payment is late payment?

Login to Me Too

Shy_Ah
New Community Member

@classy-diva wrote:

PayPal will take the funds from your bank account, or card whichever is your preferred payment method.

If you only have your bank account on file then you will send an echeque which will take up to 10 days to clear to the seller.

Does this mean that the delivery of your purchase will end up being an extra 10 days added onto the estimated delivery date?

Login to Me Too

EmilyTalbot

Can someone clarify that this is NO longer true due to their new policies??

This is causing me serious problems because I live in Mexico, using PayPal in Mexico, and cannot associate a local card because I don't have one bc of immigration issues, and it's not withdrawing from my balance but from a local card that is no longer valid!!!!

Please help clarify 😞

Thank you!

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @EmilyTalbot,

I'm sorry for the difficulty that you're experiencing with funding a payment. In Mexico, it is no longer possible to fund a payment with your balance. A card or bank would have to be used as a payment method. I'm sorry for any inconvenience.

If there are any payment methods on your account that are no longer valid, it is very important to remove those credentials as soon as possible.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

docheartache

Hi, I'm new to paypal today. I set up my account alright and am waiting the 2-3 day period to confirm my bank account.

However, I was fiddling about trying to set up my paypal details on xbox live and it seems I have purchased microsoft points by mistake. Obviously I have no money in my paypal account yet but it seems to have let me purchase them regardless. Will I incur any kind of extra charge for this or will it sort itself out when the account is confirmed and I transfer money to my paypal acc? 😕

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.