PayPal won’t refund a mistaken payment to the wrong person ... why?

Sampldv
Contributor
Contributor

On Nov 27, I tried to send $3,000 to my daughter in law @darian Fowler-Birdsong. Apparently there were 2 Darian Fowler’s in the PayPal system and I mistakenly sent the money to the wrong person. She contacted me immediately because she knew it was a mistake. She left it in her pending and never accepted it. PayPal tried to take the $3,000 from my bank account but I stopped payment so then they charged my credit card.  I Disputed with both PayPal and my credit card company but PayPal would not return it. I have documentation showing where PayPal took the $3,000 from the Darian Fowler (the one I mistakenly paid)...but I have tried numerous times to talk to PayPal and get my money returned but all I get is the run around! It’s now been 3 1/2 months and PayPal has still not returned my money. If anyone knows what I can do to get my money back I’d appreciate a response. Going to the resolution center and talking with PayPal has not been helpful at all...it is so frustrating because it was a simple straightforward mistake and I can for the life of me understand why PayPal won’t return my money where they took it from (my credit card)!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

dmf1221
New Community Member

Can someone please share if they have experienced a similar situation?  My Dad has been chasing this for months.  The person he sent the money to in error (who happens to have the same name as me) has worked with him the entire time and showed proof that funds were rejected and taken back by PayPal.  I have also contacted PayPal more than once to try and get them to return the money to my Dad.  My Dad's bank explained that PayPal denied their claim to recover his money.  Why?! It's unclaimed and sitting with PayPal.  This whole situation just seems very suspicious and PayPal has yet to clearly explain where my Dad's money is or specifically why he can't reclaim it.  Please advise if you've had a similar experience and what, if anything, was done to successfully regain your money from PayPal.  Thank you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.