PayPal stole $1600 TWICE

emma_l
Contributor
Contributor

I sent $1600 from my bank account to my husbands PayPal for our rent. As a surprise to me, my husband already paid the rent early and refunded me $1600. The money he refunded to me LEFT his PayPal account and was pending, before being (supposedly) credited to my PayPal balance. I checked my balance and it was not there. 41 days later I am still waiting for the refund and I opened a dispute as per the customer service recommendation. On top of the $1600 I was waiting for, PayPal has now taken ANOTHER $1600 from my husbands account, claiming he is at fault for ‘holding’ my money. This is incorrect as I was with him and saw the money be refunded to me. The money left his account, never arrived back to my bank or my PayPal, and now they’re accusing him of stealing and we are missing $3200 between us with no sign of a resolution. PayPal does not help in any way. I have sent message after message and each time it’s a new PayPal rep telling me they’re sorry and just to wait. I’ve been waiting. Waiting is costing me my home and my health. Someone please help me..

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@emma_l

Gosh.

When you send a bank payment, it may not get to PayPal right away but may get to recipient right away (because PayPal fronts this money ahead and they wait for your bank payment to clear) and since your husband refunded the bank payment before it arrived to PayPal, it is pending, the payment has to clear before funds can get to your PayPal account as per the refund. These days I think PayPal refunds the payment back to your bank account if a payment is paid by bank instead of leaving it in your PayPal balance like before. So check your bank statement or with your bank again to see if the funds have gone back to your bank account.

When PayPal does this instant transfer thing on bank payment, it confuses people when a refund is issued before the funds have reached PayPal. People think, "Why is the refund taking so long but sending it is so quick". This is why and people freak out and go searching for this money.

Now since you opened a dispute on your husband's account, the normal dispute procedure is to deduct the amount from your hubby's account pending outcome of the dispute. One thing to consider at this point is closing that dispute so that will fix the negative balance in your husband's account.

Now the "real" issue is where is that original 1600 GBP refunded? Call PayPal customer service to put a trace on it or call your bank. It probably got stuck in some clearinghouse or bank interchange somewhere or your bank didn't process it to your bank account. Provide the refund Transaction ID number from your hubby's account and the refund transaction ID from the original transaction from your account to customer service.

My two cents.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@emma_l

Gosh.

When you send a bank payment, it may not get to PayPal right away but may get to recipient right away (because PayPal fronts this money ahead and they wait for your bank payment to clear) and since your husband refunded the bank payment before it arrived to PayPal, it is pending, the payment has to clear before funds can get to your PayPal account as per the refund. These days I think PayPal refunds the payment back to your bank account if a payment is paid by bank instead of leaving it in your PayPal balance like before. So check your bank statement or with your bank again to see if the funds have gone back to your bank account.

When PayPal does this instant transfer thing on bank payment, it confuses people when a refund is issued before the funds have reached PayPal. People think, "Why is the refund taking so long but sending it is so quick". This is why and people freak out and go searching for this money.

Now since you opened a dispute on your husband's account, the normal dispute procedure is to deduct the amount from your hubby's account pending outcome of the dispute. One thing to consider at this point is closing that dispute so that will fix the negative balance in your husband's account.

Now the "real" issue is where is that original 1600 GBP refunded? Call PayPal customer service to put a trace on it or call your bank. It probably got stuck in some clearinghouse or bank interchange somewhere or your bank didn't process it to your bank account. Provide the refund Transaction ID number from your hubby's account and the refund transaction ID from the original transaction from your account to customer service.

My two cents.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

solomonesena
New Community Member

Can I have refund put into my business prepaid debit card ending in <removed> and I wish to apply for the for PayPal credit

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.