PayPal sent email to address not associated with my PayPal Account

hleroy17
Contributor
Contributor

Bought an item off eBay, seller sent wrong item completely, sent item back with seller provided return label, seller received it and issued a refund. 

I, however, did not get an email notification at my primary nor secondary PayPal email address, but my wife DID get a notification email about the return on her Gmail from PayPal. Completely different email that has absolutely nothing to do with my PayPal, never associated with it whatsoever. I was at first suspicious that the seller had somehow refunded the amount to her email, which she coincidentally has a PayPal associated with, but thus far nothing has shown up in her PayPal either. 

I'm now aware that if you pay with a credit card on eBay through PayPal, the refund amount is not sent to your PayPal account but just your bank instead (correct?). The issue at hand, however, is how the hell her email is possibly associated with email notifications for MY returns? I've bought tons of items off eBay with PayPal, credit card or PayPal funds, over the years and she's never received an email about my refunds until today. I then thought eBay might be at fault, but seller just sends refund back to payment method that was used, and associated email on eBay is same as my PayPal one. 

I spoke with PayPal support and they pointed a finger at something wrong with eBay, whom I plan on calling tomorrow about this. Weird part is in the email my wife got, it goes as follows:

---------------------

Hello (my name)

(name of eBay seller) refunded $XXX.XX USD from your purchase on November 8th, 2018.

The money was refunded to your MASTER_CARD x-XXXX. It may take a few days to appear on your statement.

Your refund summary

Total Purchase amount..(amount refunded, refunded by, ID, blah blah etc)

Refund paid to

(my name)

(my wifes Gmail)

----------------

So, obviously perplexed by that that last part - my name, her email. This item was also a surprise at the time but luckily PayPal decided not to send her a random email about that purchase I suppose. 

Any help or anyone familiar with such a problem would be great, would ideally like this not to happen again. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

hleroy17
Contributor
Contributor

Bump, security issue for all I know

Login to Me Too

hleroy17
Contributor
Contributor

hleroy17
Contributor
Contributor

Bump dear admins 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hleroy17

Ask customer services, we can't help you with account issues unfortunately.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

hleroy17
Contributor
Contributor

Are you referring to Customer Support in general, or a thread more specifically? 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@hleroy17

This is a 'user to user' help forum and not customer services, no one on here works for paypal (thank goodness Smiley Wink) we can only give 'general advice' and not account specific advice which I think is what you need?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.